Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 500-189
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking at buying a new HD monitor: either a 29" wide screen (21:9) or a 27" or 32" curved screen. Presently I have a Dell 23" HD monitor, model U2312HM and the video setting is 1280x1024 at 60Hz. I play a some video games but I am not a gamer. I also like watching movies. Could upgrading the video card on my PC add to the graphic quality of the new monitor? Or is this project just a waste of time and money? All insight would be appreciated.

My present set-up:

• HP 500-189 PC running on Win10 (64bit)

• AMD10-6800K Processor

• AMD Radeon HD 8670 Graphic Card

• 10GB RAM

• Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB HD

Better: good's worst enemy !
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is what the support page for that model indicates for the graphics card

• Form Factor: Low profile with ATX bracket
  • Dimensions: 16.7 cm x 6.8 cm (6.6 in x 2.7 in)
  • Maximum resolution:
    • HDMI resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
    • DVI (dual-link) resolution: 1920 x 1200 x 32bpp at 60Hz
    • Analog VGA resolution (with adapter): 2048 x 1536 x 32bpp at 60Hz
  • 2 GB onboard memory
  • Memory interface 128-bit DDR3
  • HDCP support
  • Supports Blu-ray
  • Total power consumption ~50 W (single slot)
  • Supports up to two displays at the same time

The present Dell monitor has a rating of:

Enjoy 1920x1080 (max) HD resolution, a vivid 2,000,000:1 (typical) dynamic contrast ratio and IPS technology for outstanding color consistency across a wide viewing range

Have you tried to change the settings on resolutions to 1920x1080?  It would appear that graphics card and monitor combination should be able to do that resolution.  While a size different monitor might be more pleasing, I would explore why the present monitor is not set to 1920x1080.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.