Post new question
Question

Vi6 Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (179 Views)

New HP Pavilion set up

I just bought an HP Pavilion and tried to set it up.  I could not get the existing monitor to work with the new hard drive.  He new Pavilion does not have the same way of connecting the monitor that the old one did.  I had to take it apart and put the older machine back in.  Why can't I connect my monitor.  The plug just won't fit.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 5 (169 Views)

Re: New HP Pavilion set up

Okay, we need more information from you, like...

-PC model number (not just Pavilion, but the whole model number as a LOT of Pavilion PCs exist.)

-Monitor model number and brand, or pictures of ports on the rear. 

It sounds like you will need to buy an adaptor which is easy enough to obtain; we just need to know which adaptor to get you.

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

FX6300 / Biostar TA970 / 8GB ADATA DDR3 / MSI HD 7950 / Corsair RM850 / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40
Vi6 Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (160 Views)

Thank you.  The new pavilion is model: 510-a-010, PRoduct : V8N84AA#ABA, and the serial number is CNV61707G5.

The monitor is an HP but it is older.  The plug on the older one is larger than the plug on the newer pavillion.  As you can tell, I am not very computer literate.

Vi6 Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (159 Views)

The monitor says: HP2711X on the front.

Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (131 Views)

I Googled the specs for both your new computer and your old monitor,  and (if I read them correctly) both have an interface for HDMI, and your old monitor also supported the older-technology interface called DVI.  I'll guess that you were using a DVI cable between your old monitor and your previous computer. 

Look and see if you can find a different socket on your monitor that looks like the socket on your new computer.  They could be conveniently labeled "HDMI" above them.  If so, try using an HDMI cable from that socket to your new computer.  You may have one you can 'borrow' if you have an HD television and a cable box or something similar, which usually use the same kind of cable.

You can also take the cable you used to use with your old computer into a reputable computer store, or Best Buy or similar, and ask if they have an adaptor to convert from DVI to HDMI.  They don't cost much.

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation