Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 700-010ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I wanted to add a extra monitor to my set up and thought a new video card would be a good idea.

But after installing the monitorscreen kept falshing black screens for a second or even a for a few seconds.

Not constantly but mostly when surfing on the internet and reloading the page.

friends keep suggesting it has something with the motherboard  incompatibiliy. 

How to fix this?

HP Envy 700-010ed. Windows 10 64   2AF3 motherboard ,bios version 80.24 date 24-10-2014

Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC LP 2G

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Actually that model can run two monitors at once with the onboard graphics

DVI-D and DVI-I output ports (both ports can be used at the same time).  See support page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989/model/5399797/documen...

So to eliminate problems for testing, take the graphics card that was added ( Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC LP 2G ) out of the slot and reboot.  Then see if the problem goes away.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for answering,

But I'm this leads to the problem i was trying to solve earlier.

this envy 700 came out of the box with a AMD Hd Radeon8570 . It has A HDMI  and DVI otput.

The DVD output goes to A NEC275uhd monitor 3840 x2160. Works beautiful.

The Dvi output goes to a AOC Q2790pqu monitor. It should do 2560 x1440.   But I can it only to work at 1980x1040.

Eventhough the specs say this   Dual link DVI- with HDCP has max resolution 2560x1600. (The cable is HDMIDVIMM6 )

These 2 resolutions next to each other is not nice or quite right.

I upraded every driver also in the Device manager .

So trying to solve one problem, it led to the next.

Thx and grtz

HP Recommended

If I understand this correctly then you replaced the AMD Hd Radeon8570 with the Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC?

Try removing the Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC, then boot up without it.  See how things work, then place it back in the slot.  This will test a couple of things.  It could be this Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC has a problem.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I put everything back the way it was and rebooted.

But now i'm left with the problem I was trying to solve, 2 very different resolutions.

The Dvi Output should be able to give 2560x1600. But Doesn't.

How can i fix this.

Thx and Grtz

HP Recommended

Back to the original post - the Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC LP 2G replaced the AMD Hd Radeon8570.  Is this the Gigabyte card?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1050OC-2GL#kf

Aside from the flickering, did it give the intended/expected resolutions? The intention of having you to take the Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC LP 2G out and trying the onboard graphic was two fold, to wipe the PCIExpress slot contacts again and to see if the onboard graphics could drive the two monitors at the desired resolutions.  Since it appears that was not done, does the AMD Hd Radeon8570 drive the two monitors without problems expect the resolution on the second monitor?

Unless the Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC LP 2G was not new, I would try that again.  If it again does the flickering thing, it must be a bad card problem. Contact the vendor.  An incompatible card would cause it not to work properly or not at all, not to flicker.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The Link to the Gygabyte Video Card is Correct.

Both resolutions using the Gigabyte the were also correct (looked great btw).

And to finish this saga i allready contacted Support Gigabyte. They suggested incompatibitly with HP motherboard and i first had to proof by inserting it in a different computer (among other things) but i only have HP computers (older than this).

So I can't "proof'' it's defect so they won't take it back. They also suggested i could be a bios problem, but i don't know how to upgrade the bios. HP Support runs a dead end because this Window 10 is an upgrade from Windows 8.

I'm more interrested in  getting it right though. I would buy an another/different card but then i have this incompatibyility issue looming at the horizon and i don't know wat to choose.

So i have 3 options to get this over and done with.

Fix situation 1. with resolutions going wrong

Fix siuation 2 with the black spells

buy a new card with the risk of looping back to situation 2. Because I don't know causes it, i don't know what to buy.

Thx & Grtz

HP Recommended

I understand the situation.  You do have the latest BIOS, and there is no chance for a newer one.  Their standard answer is to tell you to update the BIOS.  From what I have seen in the HP forums, it the BIOS is at fault, it will not boot up and does not show any video at all, so not likely a BIOS problem.

As for using the existing AMD Hd Radeon8570, it is supposedly capable of the correct resolution for both outputs.  Best guess is the monitor graphics card might be set for the incorrect refresh rate and therefore locked to the lower resolution.  In this spec page, the 4K resolution is 30 Hz.  Try setting the refresh rate to lower than 60 Hz, if possible.

https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem/8570#

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.