Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion p7-1287c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello! 

My PC is working normally, however, I purchased some sofetware that requires 1gb  memory in the video card than what I have. I have the ipisb-cu motherboard with the internal graphics card.

I purchased an nvidia geforce gt730 card. I shut the computer down and unplugged it, installed the card in the slot, and repowered the pc. It comes on and shows the blue hp screen but windows won't start. I have the cd with the drivers on it, but am unsure how to proceed.

I've disconnected the new card and hooked the monitor back up to the old one and evertyhing works as normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The p7-1287c has a Legacy BIOS. Your PC's motherboard is limited to only supporting a Legacy, non UEFI BIOS.

The Nvidia 730 requires a UEFI BIOS.

You would have to look at Nvidia 600 series graphics cards that can run on the 300 watt PSU HP installed in your PC unless you upgrade the PSU.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  So there are two problems with this card? One being incorrect bios, and the other being insufficient psu? I've read some things about upgrading bios to windows 8 version? Is there nothing that I can do or should I buy a different card, as you suggested?

HP Recommended

Hi Dtsinc,

Your PSU is okay for a GT 730.

But It is not possible to update your PC's BIOS to a higher version required to run the GT 730. So the 730 will not initialize.

You would have to use Nvidia 600 series graphics. Some 600 graphics cards (GTX 660) require up to a 450 watt PSU and one six pin PCIe connector.

Just pick a 600 series Nvidia card that will work with a 300 watt PSU. A GT 630 will run on a 300 watt PSU. The 630 has 2 GB's of video memory.

The older Nvidia 600 series graphics cards may be hard to find. Try Newegg or Amazon.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.