Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (146 Views)

New tower can't find connector for monitor

Product Name: Omen Desktop 870-244
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought this tower.  I have looked and looked for where I need to plug my monitor into but cannot find anything close to resembling the monitor's plug.  What do I do now.  I cannot find anywhere on Hewlet Packard's support site to find a diagram of the back of this computer.  My monitor has a blue plug, there's three rows of pins between the connectors.

Thanks for all suggestions and assistance.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (135 Views)

Re: New tower can't find connector for monitor

Hi;

If you have a LCD flat panel monitor, there is probably at least a DVI port you can use, beside the blue VGA port you are using now.

Look underneath the monitor where the blue end of the cable plugs into, and see if there is a white colored port with a bunch of holes.   That is a DVI port.  There may even be a display or HDMI port.

The back of your PC has two HDMI ports. The back of your PC's ports is illustrated below.

The video cable plugs into either of the ports labeled as #4.

Now if your monitor only has a VGA and DVI port, you can just purchase a DVI to HDMI cable of the length you need.

This one is a 6' cable for example...

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Rankie-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00YOSA85Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronic...

If your monitor also has a HDMI port, just get a HDMI cable.

Figure : Thimphu-K back I/O panel Thimphu-K back I/O panel

1. USB 2.0: 2
  2. LAN (Ethernet)
  3. USB 2.0: 2
  4. HDMI out: 2
  5. USB 3.0: 2
  6. Audio: Line in
  7. Audio: Line out
  8. Audio: Microphone
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (107 Views)

Thank you so much for your help.  Yes! My monitor does have the DVI port and I will get the connector you suggested.  

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (100 Views)

You're very welcome.

You will also be moving up from analog to digital video with that setup.

I find the video quality to be somewhat better with DVI/HDMI.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation