Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1160t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I custom ordered my Pavilion HPE h8-1160t and it came with a 2 GB GeForce GT 530.  I recently concluded that it is failing because one, the fan has gotten a lot noisier and two, the signal to my display cuts off after a few minutes of use and I end up having to shut down using the power button.  

I purchased an MSI GeForce GT 730 with 4 GB memory.  I removed the old card and installed the new one.  PC does not boot and is frozen at the HP splash page.  I called MSI support and they suggested that there may be compatibility issues with the HP motherboard.  Is there a way to check for compatibility with my new card?  Or, is there a different solution to this problem?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pinoyxr,

The HPE h8-1160t is circa 14-Oct-2011, having a legacy BIOS. The GT 530 (50W card) is also legacy BIOS,  launched in May 2011. Now, the GT 730 is a UEFIvBIOS card, and will never work with your legacy BIOS system.  There is no upgrade path to UEFI for your motherboard.

What is your existing PSU wattage?  Likely the 300W, but there was a 460W and 600W.That will determine a starting point.

Your GPU choice must be a card manufactured prior to Aug 2012.  The wattage of the GPU card will likely dictate a new PSU.

WARNING: you need to get that system to boot with the old card, and immediately delete all the software and driver that pertains to the GT530. The motherboard has onboard DVI-I and DVI-D ports, so at least you will have video.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@pinoyxr,

The HPE h8-1160t is circa 14-Oct-2011, having a legacy BIOS. The GT 530 (50W card) is also legacy BIOS,  launched in May 2011. Now, the GT 730 is a UEFIvBIOS card, and will never work with your legacy BIOS system.  There is no upgrade path to UEFI for your motherboard.

What is your existing PSU wattage?  Likely the 300W, but there was a 460W and 600W.That will determine a starting point.

Your GPU choice must be a card manufactured prior to Aug 2012.  The wattage of the GPU card will likely dictate a new PSU.

WARNING: you need to get that system to boot with the old card, and immediately delete all the software and driver that pertains to the GT530. The motherboard has onboard DVI-I and DVI-D ports, so at least you will have video.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I have the 460W.  I'm not quite ready to replace this PC yet so I may just look for a compatible video card.  Any suggestions as to places I can look other than Amazon?

HP Recommended

@pinoyxr,

Keep to cards with no more than 150W TDP.  Remember to keep your choice to cards to cards launched August 2012, or before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series

Newegg has some cards in the GTX  560  and GTX  660

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gtx+560&cm_sp=KeywordRelated-_-gtx500-_-gtx%20560-_-INFOCARD

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gtx+660&cm_sp=KeywordRelated-_-gtx%20600-_-gtx%20660-_-INFOCARD

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I have been reading through the options.  Would I be right to assume that any of the 500 or 600 series Nvidia's would run on my legacy bios motherboard?  I know that DDR5 is newer than the DDR3 that I currently have...since that is just the type of RAM, using DDR5 should be okay, right?  And last clarification, I don't do any gaming...the most taxing thing for this video card would be video editing and such.  Would the GT series be enough or are the GTX's better?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.