cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
b-1150
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Newly installed SSD not appearing in file explorer or bios

HP Recommended
hp pavillion 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following steps on this forum, I disabled optane memory using IntelRapidTechnology tool.  

I then removed optane memory from slot.

I replaced it with Crucial NVMe M.2 SSD 500gb.

Next I wish to clone HDD or install fresh windows to SSD, but I cannot figure out how to access newly installed ssd.

Please advise.  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 681 1,651
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disabling Optane using IRST is the correct procedure. Check the BIOS to verify it is set to AHCI.

You can't clone the OS to the new NVME drive if the BIOS can't see the disk. Please verify you don't have a M.2 SATA drive. Many consumer HP PCs can't work with M.2 SATA drives.

Some HP PCs have issues with certain retail NVME drives. Can't say if your PC falls into this group or you have a BIOS configuration problem.

Regards

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
b-1150
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  BIOS does not see the disk.  Disk management does not see the disk.  I installed the ssd in another pc and wanted to transfer the disk image that I captured with Macrium, but it claims there is not enough space.  It shows the ssd but only 260mb.  It shows that capacity is 497gb... but can't seem to actually write to it.  I was hoping this would be a workaround where I could successfully put the image on ssd, remove hdd, and force laptop to find the only drive installed.  But this did not work.

I do not know how to verify if I have M.2 SATA drive.  I am just using the only slot that it would fit in.  PCIe

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,604 681 1,651
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I am not following what you are doing. The Macrium image should work. I can't predict how this goes when using Macrium to image an NVME drive installed on a different PC. I don't do it this way. The 260 MB versus 497 GB volume discrepancy is also perplexing. I have no idea why you see this difference. The NVME drive will not be bootable if you have to use a PCIe adapter to connect the drive to the MB.

A M.2 drive connects to a M.2 socket on the MB unless you have to use a PCIe to M.2 adapter. So I, again, don't know what you are doing.

Macrium can run from a bootable USB stick. You can image the new NVME SSD using Macrium when the SSD is connected to the target PC.

It is easy to create Macrium boot media on the target PC. Insert a USB stick, run Macrium. Select Other Tasks. 

Follow prompts to create rescue media.

Install the NVME drive in the target PC. Boot to the Macrium rescue media. Locate the image on external media. Copy the image to the new NVME SSD.

Again, you can't do this if the NVME drive is not detected in the BIOS. This means you have a hardware problem.

Regards

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation