Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
all in one pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I need help after an update to windows 10. My usb ports will not let my phone attach, it finds it for a few seconds then drops it. My ports in the device manager state they are migrated???. I can still use memory sticks easily but my phone, no way.

Also in the device manager my dvd/cd ram is hidden and has a code 45. This means i need to re-attach the dirve. How do I do that when I cannot find it anywhere on my pc now. No dvd or cd will play but yet again i can use data discs. Also in the device manager the ide controller is listed but again is migrated. Thanks Microsoft another great idea of yours. After one windows 10 update it re-arranged all my pictures hid some and put them all in  a different order. What the hell is going on???

All i want to do is use my pc the way it was intended. I asked for help and was told to update the driver on them all. No help whatsoever and to roll the driver back. I am unable to do this.

Some one please help with this and also nothing too techy, I am a bit of a novice on a pc.

I am using an all-in one hp 20 that has run for months ok but now grrrrrr.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@suziesue1

You are right, sometimes the resolution of the issue with the DVD/Optical drive and the USB ports are as straightforward and easy as unplugging and plugging the hardware to the computer, however, If you are facing this issue because of faulty hardware, getting it repaired or replaced is recommended. You will get to know of that if none if of the solution given below are able to help you sort out the problem:

1] Running the Hardware Troubleshooter

To run the Hardware Troubleshooter, click on Start and then click on the gear like symbol which opens the Settings page.

While there, type troubleshooting and press enter.

Troubleshooting windows will appear. Click on the Hardware and Sound option there.

Select Hardware and Devices. Another window will appear. Click on Next there to start running the troubleshoot.

2] Scanning and Repairing Hard Disk Corruption

In the search box, type Command and then press CTRL+Shift+Enter. Type “chkdsk /f” in the CMD box and hit ENTER.

Check Disk will begin scanning for possible hard disk corruption that could be the reason behind Error code 45. If found, it will repair the same.

3] Update, rollback or reinstall the Driver

You may want to check if your device drivers are up-to-date, use this website to install the latest version available on HP for your device: Click here

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

When I go to the troubleshooter the Hardware and Devices option is not showing at all. In the device manager there is no option to roll back the driver and i have tried to update it but according to the pc it has the latest one. I have rebooted the pc a few times and the dvd/cd ram come back up in the device manager. If I put in a disc I can see it disappear and go to hidden files. I had an issue with my printer not so long ago and had to run it on wi fi when I prefer a usb cable. Obviously now this was the problem. If I uninstall the dvd/cd, ubs ports  and the ide controllers will they come back after a reboot. Would the pc re install them? The pc runs the usb ports so I can use a memrory stick (thankfully). I have backed up every thing up on to this in case I lose my files. But the same prort won't allow my phone to attach which is a bit strange. I have check files and cannot find the dvd/cd file and when I go into the file history it states it's turned off. I have run a security check and every thing is fine and according to a pc health check everything is running.

Am in the process of doing a disk check.

HP Recommended

The disk check was unable to be done as when i entered the code you gave me it said "path cannot be found"

HP Recommended

Do I need to put " at each end or it is just the letters. I am useless at these kind of things. I can downlad a free diagnostic check from yourselves. Would that help a repair too? In the hp assistant there is not an option to check hardware and if i type in the problem all I get is a virtual agent that doesn't understand the problem.

HP Recommended

Tried another disk check and access is denied.

HP Recommended

@suziesue1 You don't have to use (") this, it should work without it, if it isn't, I recommend you disconnect the phone without the safely remove hardware and then, restart the device before you retry the steps again, if it doesn't work, I suggest you perform an extensive system test on your device using the F2 key (tap during reboot) to access the same, click here for instructions.

Keep me posted with the results.

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI,

Downloaded the diagnostics for windows 10. The IRQ and ROM cancelled. Will do a more extensive test later today.

HP Recommended

Alright @suziesue1

Keep us posted with the results.

Good luck and good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.

Back again. The hp diagnostics doesn't work. However after a bit of research managaed to get the cd to work once and then it disappearred. Changed a few things and then updated the driver. Now after re-booting I have an error 38 which states that windows cannot update device driver as a previous instance of the driver is in the memory error 38. The dvd/cd driver in the device manager has a yellow triangle in it now. So now, how do I get around this problem. It appears from research this is to do with an update from Microsoft and I am not alone with this problem but Microsoft have not done an update to rectify this. Obviously as a cd worked once and i could also attach my phone to a usb port there is nothing wrong with the hardware. this is a driver issue.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.