Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Prodesk 600 G2 SFF

I'm trying to setup the used HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF I just purchased and I'm not getting any video signal from it. I haven't had a computer with a VGA port on it in close to 15 years. I'm certain I got rid of any VGA cables I had lying around at least a decade ago. Since this system also has two DisplayPort ports, I figured I'd use those instead, but I get nothing. I'm thinking that those likely won't work until I get an OS and drivers installed, and that I'll probably need a VGA cable to get my system going, then switch over to one of the DisplayPorts.

Can anyone confirm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Either of the two display ports should be working just as the VGA port would.

You should be getting the HP welcome screen, etc.

The only way the DP won't work is if there is a video card installed, which automatically disables the onboard graphics.

Ensure that you have the DP cable firmly inserted into the DP.  There should be a firm click when the cable locks into the port, and it cannot be removed without firmly depressing the retaining tab.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Either of the two display ports should be working just as the VGA port would.

You should be getting the HP welcome screen, etc.

The only way the DP won't work is if there is a video card installed, which automatically disables the onboard graphics.

Ensure that you have the DP cable firmly inserted into the DP.  There should be a firm click when the cable locks into the port, and it cannot be removed without firmly depressing the retaining tab.

HP Recommended

I tried both DP ports, and I'm pretty sure I had the cable plugged in pretty well each time, but I'll try it again when I get home in the morning.

The funny thing is, I remember having a similar issue with my gaming rig. That system is based on an Asus Z270 motherboard and it has an Asus branded Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, and I specifically remember when setting it up, I couldn't get any video output from DP. I had to hookup via HDMI to get everything setup. Once I had Windows 10 installed and setup and the Nvidia drivers installed, I switched to the DP port and everything worked perfectly and has been fine ever since. That's why I immediately thought that may be an issue here.

Anyway, I'll check the cable tomorrow and try again, and if that doesn't work, I've borrowed an old VGA cable from a junk drawer at work and I'll use it to check the VGA port as well.

Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That seems very odd to me.

I had tested the display port connection out in my 8000 and 8200 Elite CMT's, but I know for a fact the OS was installed prior to my using the DP.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about that theory is... what if all you have is a display port connection and you just bought the PC with no OS? 

How do you install an operating system with no display?  What if you have no other connection options?

I sure hope that you're right.

Otherwise, you will have to either return the PC, which is a pain, or buy a compatible video card so you can use the PC.

HP Recommended

I plugged the DP cable back into one of the DP ports on the back of the computer and, at first, I still didn't seem to get anything. I shut it down one last time and plugged in a USB keyboard, because I didn't have a keyboard plugged in initially. This time, when I booted, I was presented with a light blue HP symbol on the screen, then the UEFI loaded.

I'm now in the process of trying to recover Windows 10 Pro to an SSD that I installed into the system. Everything seems to be going smoothly.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

You should be home free.

HP Recommended

Well, I did get my SSD installed and got Windows 10 Pro restored to it. There were several times that I lost video. If I jiggle around with the cable, or unplugged and re-plugged it in or changed DP ports, I would usually get video back. It's the same cable I use on my main gaming rig and I've never had the first issue with it, so I suspect the DP ports and not the cable, or possibly some incompatibility with the cable that is showing up on the DeskPro, but not on my gaming rig Regardless, I have it setup and running and it's in my network closet and I can access it remotely using TeamViewer, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Everything seems to be running great now.

HP Recommended

Glad you got it running OK.

That's too bad about the DP issue, but you can always get a cheap low profile video card for it and bypass that problem.

A GT 710 for example only draws 19W.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.