Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-160se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When it died I was doing everything I normally do, working on homework while having Runescape run on the other monitor. It showed no signs that it was going to die, it just randomly shut down on its own. After a while I was able to start it up again, but I noticed the screen had odd colored lines during its boot, and when it booted there were green dots. It also couldn't recognize my other monitor. I figured it may be a driver issue, so I reinstalled the latest driver, which fixed it, but only for 5 minutes before it crashed again. It reverted back to the weird colored lines and green dots. I ended up resetting the PC, which helped again, but only for a short time. It crashed once more after that, and then refused to start up at all. No input to my monitors, but the power button LED and the front case LED's blink in about 5 second intervals. I haven't even had this PC for 2 years, and it's dead. I called support and they said they wanted me to send it for repairs, around $400-$700 dollars. That's almost half the cost of the computer. Is there no way for it to be repaired for less? I need it for my schooling and I lost half of my final project on it.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It sounds like you are out of warranty.

You should be able to recover the project data from the HDD unless it is toast (unlikely, but anything is possible). Connect the HDD to a different PC as a data drive. Look in your "User Name" folder for the needed data. The location of the data depends on where you saved it and what software you used to create the data.

You have three options:

1. Send to HP for service

2. Find a reliable, local PC tech

3. Troubleshoot the problem yourself

Troubleshooting the problem by yourself requires swapping in known good replacement components which costs money.

Using a local PC tech will cost money.

You have a hardware problem. It could be the power supply, RAM, the motherboard, the graphics card, the HDD, or thermal problems.

This is why it will cost money to find the bad part(s).

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.