Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 27xi
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My HP Pavilion 27xi monitor displays the message "OSD LOCKOUT" whenenever I try to use the menu. I've tried every remedy I could find on this forum, including holding down the power button for 10 or 20 sec. Nothing works. At this point, I'd be happy just to do a factory reset.

The problem occurs also when the monitor is disconnected from the host computer.

Note that the connected computer is a MACINTOSH (OSX 10.10.5) and there has never been any problem connecting this monitor/computer in the 2+ years I've had the 27xi. 

There is not ONE WORD to be found re. use with a Mac in any HP document I can find - everything re. troubleshooting refers to Windows, and general information on Factory Reset and/or OSX Lockout is extremely scarce.

How can it be that there is no way to hard-reboot this thing back to factory settings?

Help appreciated! 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jduesenb

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 27xi 27-inch Diagonal IPS LED Backlit Monitor and it displays a message saying  "OSD LOCKOUT" . This message appears even when the monitor has not connected your computer. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did some research and found the following information:

One of the following messages appears on the screen (over the items being displayed).

OSD Lockout

OSD Lock-out

... or similar message.

This message occurs when the Menu button on the front panel is pressed for more than 10 seconds. OSD lockout prevents the OSD menu from opening on the screen when a button is accidentally pressed.

NOTE: The button may be different and the procedure might vary on some monitors. Please check your monitor User Guide to find the exact procedure if this procedure does not work.

To remove the OSD Lockout message, release the Menu button (if something was pressing against it), and press and hold the Menu button again for about 10 seconds - until the message goes away. If the OSD Lockout message does not go away, the button may be stuck or the hardware behind the button might have become defective.

You may refer to the detailed user guide for this monitor. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Well, thanks for trying, but nothing you suggest fixes or changes the problem. 

As I said previously, I've looked at the User Guide and other "documentation" for this monitor and none of it explains how to get out of this "OSD Lockout" mode, or how to do a factory reset, and in general the manual doesn't even describe any of the menu options except in a very sketchy way.

I've tried your button-pressing idea, which is NOT in the manual, and I've tried other variants,   such as completely unplugging the monitor and then re-powering. Nothing works. I've observed:

* Pressing the button momentarily when the monitor is ON turns it OFF.

* Pressing the button momentarily when the monitor is OFF turns it ON.

* Holding down the button for any length of time  while powering up causes the usual five menu options to appear to the left of the button. However, touching any of these icons does absolutely nothing. They are crippled.

* If you hold down the menu button briefly, and then QUICKLY touch the menu area, the menu buttons will light up and "OSD LOCKOUT" is displayed.  There is no way to clear this message, and the buttons again are crippled. 

If I could get hold of the monitor's most recent firmware, and/or its Mac drivers, I could probably reinstall them and get the HP27xi to reboot in its factory state. Is there any way I can do that? Or, is there a secret "backdoor password" or other procedure to reboot this unit?

Otherwise, this monitor is in effect ruined - stuck in a state where text looks awful, although hi-res images and movies still look OK. It would probably cost me more to ship to HP for "repair," if that's even possble, than to simply replace it. And I'll probably replace it with an APPLE moniitor... very disappointed in HP and its manuals.

-- jduesenb

HP Recommended

@jduesenb

You're welcome and thanks for trying the steps. 

There are no manuals or updates available for Mac. However, there are few drivers available for Windows. 

Please try a hard reset on the monitor:

• Power off the monitor.
  • Disconnect the power cable and display cable from the monitor.
  • Press and hold the monitor power button for 10 seconds and then release it. 

Meantime, let us try few button combinations and check if we can the OSD lockout message to go away.

• Press the Menu+Auto Adjustment buttons and check.
  • Menu+OK
  • OK+Auto adjustment

Let's hope one of the button combinations help.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for trying, but I've already tried your "hard reset" suggestion. It has no effect.

Your suggestion about "button combinations" does not make sense. There are NO PHYSICAL BUTTONS on this monitor.  The "buttons" such as menu, OK, etc. are just LEDs that light ip when you touch the area to the left on the Power button. And since the montor is in OSD LOCKOUT, no matter what button or buttons you touch, they have no effect because they are LOCKED!

I can't believe anybody would design a device in such a way that it could get into a state where it can't be rebooted. I ask you once again, before I throw this monitor in the garbage: can I get the monitor's most recent firmware, and/or its Mac drivers. Even if they are the same as what I have now, if I RE-install them, the HP27xi will probably  reboot in its factory state. Is there any way I can do that? 

Of course it's possible that the hardware under the menu button is broken. In that case, there is no hope of fixing this problem, and I'll have to replace the monitor. 

HP Recommended

@jduesenb

Thanks for correcting me. It was my bad. I typed it as buttons. These are LEDs which activate when we tap them.

There are no updates or drivers available for Mac OS. Only Windows compatible software is available. 

You may contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware options for your HP monitor. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks! 

HP Recommended

spent a couple of hours solving this.  I had computer hooked to DVI and roku to HDMI and wanted to switch back and forth.

Switch input option was not available in the version of MY Display I was using. When I tried to use the LED menu I got the OSD lockout.  I finally shut off the computer and got the roku to work.  Got an update then to the My Display which had the switch capability of inputs.  It came with a note that said if you do this my display will not be able to change back.  So I tried switching in Mydisplay to the HDMi which worked momentarily.  But then I went to the LED display with menu and input change and I was able to switch back and forth without shutting everything off.  The OSD was not locked out anymore.

My conclusion is if you are running windows 10  MYDisplay Locks up the OSD.

HP Recommended

The program MYDisplay interferes with the OSD function in windows 10.  Udate MYDisplay to the latest version and use it to switch inputs.  It will work but only momentarily.  After that the OSD functions (LEDS) will work again and you can use those to easily switch the inputs.  You can probably uninstall mydisplay and have the same affect.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.