Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen Desktop 875-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using the HP system vitals monitor my RTX 2080 stays at 84-87c while playing demanding games like Battlefield V, which seems about 10 degrees high, what would be the best way to fix this? Can I add fans to the case somehow maybe using a fan splitter? Not sure where they would mount or if the fan header/psu could support them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PC runs great but the GPU/CPU temps run high!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Both HP and nvidia work together to make sure as system HP sells meets the required thermal cooling  nessary to keep the system and componiets within the rated temptures

while your video card is near the listed thermal limit while gameing, it does not exceed the 88c listed limit nvidia lists for your card as such both HP and nvidia consider it working normally and as designed.

if your card should exceed the listed thermal limit the card will then begin downclocking in small steps in order to keep thecard within the acceptable thermal limits

if you wish to lower the cards temps, tou can use a 3rd party application such as MSI Aferburner or EVGA's  Precision  X, or Rivaturner, all of the above allow you to manually control the fan curve and set it to ramp up in speed sooner and/or faster

they also allow you to downclock the card manually or reduse voltage to the gpu chip  both of these options require you to read the pargram docs before playing with these settings

a alterniative option is to remove the stock cooling featsink/fan and replace with a aftermarket cooler that has been reviewer and found to have better cooling (keep the original in case you need warranty service)

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Are the GPU and the CPU running hot? Sustained upper 80 degrees C temps while gaming is kind of hot.

What CPU cooling system? Fan/heatsink or AIO liquid.

Have you looked inside the chassis to see if you can add any case fans to improve air flow?

It looks like you have one rear exhaust fan. Some cases allow for front and top fans.

I see one problem on the motherboard (MB) based on this HP provided image (Link). I can only find two fan headers which are both in use. 

It is possible to add a fan controller but your MB has no USB 2.0 headers and only one, in use, USB 3.0 header. Fan splitters are not recommended. Maybe HP has included a fan controller. Look in the chassis and, if possible, remove the MB tray side panel to check for this component. There may be more fan headers on the motherboard but I can't see any using the image HP has provided in the previous link.

I'm sorry, but there are very few options available to improve chassis airflow.

How are temps when you game with the side panel removed?

A CPU AIO liquid cooling solution may improve temps but this also presents upgrade challenges. You need to know what size fan and radiator will work with your chassis. HP usually uses 92 mm fans. You will need to install a processor socket backplate. Then you have the no USB header problem. Retail AIO liquid systems need USB to talk to the software which controls the pump and fan speeds.

Regards

HP Recommended

GPU runs a sustained 85c while gaming, doesn't fluctuate to much but it does hit 87c sometimes before dropping back down to 85c, just seems high, Nvidias listed max temp is 88c for the 2080, haven't tried to game without the side panel on, don't really feel that's a solution to the problem. I will try it tonight though just as a test. The side glass panel is definitely hot to the touch.

PC has the stock i7 8700 fan/heatsink.

More concerned about the GPU temps being so high

Front of the case looks solid so no possible fan there, the top of the case looks like the best bet for an additional fan but there's some sort of metal plate up there, could probably be removed? I'd still have the fan controller/header problem though I guess.

HP Recommended

Both HP and nvidia work together to make sure as system HP sells meets the required thermal cooling  nessary to keep the system and componiets within the rated temptures

while your video card is near the listed thermal limit while gameing, it does not exceed the 88c listed limit nvidia lists for your card as such both HP and nvidia consider it working normally and as designed.

if your card should exceed the listed thermal limit the card will then begin downclocking in small steps in order to keep thecard within the acceptable thermal limits

if you wish to lower the cards temps, tou can use a 3rd party application such as MSI Aferburner or EVGA's  Precision  X, or Rivaturner, all of the above allow you to manually control the fan curve and set it to ramp up in speed sooner and/or faster

they also allow you to downclock the card manually or reduse voltage to the gpu chip  both of these options require you to read the pargram docs before playing with these settings

a alterniative option is to remove the stock cooling featsink/fan and replace with a aftermarket cooler that has been reviewer and found to have better cooling (keep the original in case you need warranty service)

HP Recommended

Awesome, thanks for all the info!

HP Recommended

Hi Zamido,

Keep in mind you have a chassis air movement problem.

A third party air cooler may not reduce temps.

Best of luck. I hope you can get the temps under control.

Regards

HP Recommended

not to be rude, but what testing methods do you base your statement on? i know that HP hires qualified engineers to build and test a system using the nessary testing machines like air tunnels and hot oven boxes and tempture probes.

so i'm currious what you used hardware wise that determined the case has a air movement problem that somehow escaped HP's testing.......

i'm not saying the case cooling can't be improved, i'm askiing how you determined it is lacking and to state what exactly is wrong,so others can decide if you are correct ....................

HP Recommended

Well,

The OP is experiencing unusually high component (CPU and GPU) temps.

Ask yourself, why is this so?

I build systems for a living so I think I can make an observation on what might cause or contribute to high internal component temps. The GPU should run cooler if HP engineers determined this card will work in this specific system. The CPU should run cooler if HP engineers decided the factory heatsink/fan is properly sized for this specific system. So what is causing the problem? I suggest it is inadequate chassis airflow.

Inadequate chassis airflow will raise the internal chassis and component temps.

My custom built system's GPU temps (using 1080 or 1080 Ti cards) under heavy loads using Furmark, 3DMark, or Unigine stress tests and benchmarks max and stabilize around 64 degrees Celsius. These tests are run for up to 60 minutes.

CPU stress tests (with 8700K processors or AMD equivalents) using Prime95 or IXTU stabilize around 72 C to 75 C. No thermal throttling, no power throttling. These tests are also run for about an hour.

I have experience in building, quiet, stable, fast, and cool systems.

Regards

HP Recommended

All I've used is the installed HP vitals monitor that came with HP Omen and GPU pushes max recommended temp (83-87) and CPU runs at 83 after playing battlefield for 15 minutes. I was really just trying to find someone with this specific model to see if they had the same temps. All I've found online for Rtx 2080 temps say it should run 70-75 under full load. Haven't done a ton of research, I'm definitely not an expert, that's why I'm reaching out for help. Curious if mine is cooling like its meant to, if these temps can support long gaming sessions then that's fine, if not I was trying to resolve that before I had a bigger problem. I've only had the PC a few days and I'm just paranoid I guess. Thanks for your help again.

HP Recommended

and i maintain over 450 systems as a domain admin,......and have been making my living for over 15 years like this

i pointed out that acording to the "OP" his video card is remaining under the  nvidia max temp for the card model he has and while close to the limit, he is not exceeding the rated limit... so i again question your statement that he has a problem with unuasally high temps

i am also not questioning your custom pc building skills or experience in doing so....... what i am asking is for you to tell the readers what tools you used in determining that this HP system has a case defect cooling wise which HP in your opinion has missed.

i also happen to agree that many no name pc cases are badly designed for airflow/cooling and can be improved on using a basic smoke test and some modding inside by adding case baffles/airflow guides and better fans

however with name brand systems from HP, Dell, Lenoveo these pc makers do spend money and time to design systems with component makers help to ensure the case and entire system meets the OEM's and component suppliers specs, and as such  finding a major defect or design flaw is much harder and requires a lot more testing than just slapping in more or diffrent fans and a bigger heatsink and calling it a day.

the "OP's cpu temps are also within the Intel listed normal operating temps and again while on the high side still stay within the limits intel lists as the normal range for that series cpu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.