Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omni 120-1000z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive on this Omni 120-1000z desktop that I have. Does anyone know what the max size hard drive it will take?

Also, does anyone know if there is any reason why I won't be able to use an SSD in place of an HDD?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Thisishardwork , welcome to the forum.

You can easily use a 2 TB HDD in the computer.  You can use a larger drive if you initialize the disk to GPT.  However, I suggest that you check to see how the drive is installed.  It may be possible to use a SSD instead of a HDD.  I am not certain, but here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for the computer:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03030657

On Pages 2 thru 6 are instructions on replacing and reinstalling the HDD.  If you pull the HDD you will be able to see how the HDD connects.  You may have to use an adapter from 3.5" to 2.5" to make an SSD fit properly.  I like Samsung products.  The EVO 860 would be a good choice.  You can contact Samsung's Tech Support to make certain it will be compatible with your system.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Crucial yesterday and they told me that their SSDs are not compatible with this machine, but couldn't tell me specifically why. They said it could be one of several reasons, including soldered parts.

From the manual your link provided, it would seem the HDD is NOT soldered and, therefore, removeable.

I also, then, got in touch with Samsung who said they do not provide and official compatibility lists but did say that "it would be compatible with the following interface: 2.5" SATA III. Whether or not the computer meets the interface of the drive is on the computer manufacturers end ..."

I can't seem to find any HP customer support to find out if it does because I'm not with the machine at the mo and I can't find any specs for it on the HP website, or anywhere else.

HP Recommended

@Thisishardwork, I can't find any further information on the drives.  I know that the hard drive is removable, but don't know how it connects inside of the drive bay.  It may be that HP has a proprietary connector that isn't compatible with Samsung and Crucial's drives.  If you can take a picture of the connector and post it, we can help you better.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.