Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION TP01-0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

***POST HAS BEED EDITED AND UPDATED, IT IS NOT RESOLVED***

Hi guys! 

Familiar story, I inhereted a basic HP Pavilion desktop (tp01-0014) but I want to stick a graphics card in it.

I know others have asked here, but the problem never seemed to get resolved FOR SOME OF US.

I've been on the phone with HP tech support, sales guys, parts guys. and nobody

NOBODY

seems to know the answer.

the graphics card is not the issue, i got a small profile 1660 and it fits just fine(ish) in the case.

I know the mobo is a "ROTHER" with an HP proprietary power supply pin setup. 

One of the expert members here actually took the time to make a spreadsheet (like a boss) that lists HP's motherboards and their compatibility with HP's beefier PSU's.  Take a look:

It's an ongoing project, but one I think a LOT of our community now and in the future would benefit from completing it.

He obviously didnt have time to test if the 500w lo5757-800 worked on ALL rother motherboards, but he DID say it was compatible specifically with te01-0034 ROTHER mobo and tested it specifically with the gtx 1660super (my card), and said it is indeed compatible. At least, that's how I'm reading the chart.

I know people have lives, and you're all busy, and stuff. But I went ahead and bought this GTX1660 ($270), and this HP LO5757-800 ($150 with shipping), which is $420 bucks, because the community expert said it would work, and an HP tech support chick said it would work, heres what I know for sure. I saw it installed on Sunflower motherboard successfully (thx youtube). The sunflower mobos have 2 PSU inputs, one for the board in general and then one for the CPU.

The rother motherboards look identical to that setup(to my eye), except the rothers have a 3rd inline-style input by PSU input1.

Does that inline 3rd not need to be used if you upgrade to the 500w??

CAN ANYBODY IN OUR COMMUNITY SHED SOME LIGHT HERE????

I blew my stim on these parts i was told were compatible, and HP hasn't shipped the PSU yet. I'm hoping SOMEBODY here can help me before they ship it and its a waste of money.

Thanks!
Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MaxHarris86 

The problem has been resolved "several times". Your just not reading the forum.  The actual plugs from the HP proprietary PSU are two 2x2 plugs, and an inline 7 pin plug.  It is not feasible to create an adapter situation. It was attempted with poor results.  It would not allow power "on", or shutdown typical of a normal computer.  There is also a fire hazard.

The spreadsheet I created months ago lists the model numbers of 180W, 310, 400W, and 500W HP PSU units that work.  The is an ongoing project, but it does give some insight into models,  PSU and GPU combinations.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MaxHarris86 

The problem has been resolved "several times". Your just not reading the forum.  The actual plugs from the HP proprietary PSU are two 2x2 plugs, and an inline 7 pin plug.  It is not feasible to create an adapter situation. It was attempted with poor results.  It would not allow power "on", or shutdown typical of a normal computer.  There is also a fire hazard.

The spreadsheet I created months ago lists the model numbers of 180W, 310, 400W, and 500W HP PSU units that work.  The is an ongoing project, but it does give some insight into models,  PSU and GPU combinations.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much sir! I must've missed the conclusion. Thank you for creating that spreadsheet, apparently theres no upgrading my PSU beyond 300watts, and now I have to get rid of this useless machine. HP, I don't know what you think you're doing using proprietary connectors on MOBOs so people cant upgrade your products, but thats not going to make people buy YOUR proprietary stuff if you dont have an alternative to the REST OF THE PC MARKET. I swear i will never buy an HP again.

HP Recommended

@MaxHarris86,

Again your not reading the information provided. There are 400w and 500W PSU available.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I do appreciate your help, yeah I must be reading it wrong. I see theres a 500w PSU "L05757-800", but the spreadsheet doesnt list my exact MOBO (its tp01-0014). It does list other ROTHER mobos being compatible with the 500w unit, however I don't know if all ROTHER mobos use this proprietary 2x2+(inline)7 set up. I also need to know if the 500w will actually fit in my case. I don't mean to be a pain in the butt, but I've been "on hold" on the phone with HP about this for a week now, nobody has answered tech support over there in a week. I have noone else to ask who knows what they are talking about.

HP Recommended

Sir,

I finally talked to HP tech support. Like you, they swear compatibility between the L05757-800 (500w) PSU and my specific ROTHER mobo (whatever comes in the HP PAVILION TP01-0014), so I bought one from the HP parts store for $115 plus tax and shipping. A lot for a 500w supply unit, but its also Gold certified, or at least HP's description implicitly suggests it is Gold cert.

Since you took the time to make this (awesome) spreadsheet but have no hard data on TP01-0014 desktop or its ROTHER motherboard compatibility with the L05757-800 PSU, I was wondering if you'd be interested in hearing directly from me whether or not all the pins fit and the PSU fits + secures into the pavilion chassis. A lot of HP customers seem to be interested in upgrading these computers with a graphics card, and I'm sure the community would appreciate updating the spreadsheet. If you're busy and done with the project, that's cool with me.

Thanks again for your help,

Max

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.