Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Linux

Operating system: Proxmox VE

Hi All,

I am scouting for a for an appropriate/supported internal SAS HBA/IT controller. I'd like to use SAS HDDs, but onboard support by the HP Z240 motherboard. I want to pool the SAS HDDs in Proxmox VE using ZFS's Software-based RAID.

As I need 4 SAS drives, I consider either a PCIex4 or a PCIex8 SAS HBA/IT controller (depending on availability and price).

Right now, I only have a graphics card on Slot#2-PCIex16. All other slots are available. My 3 questions:

1. Can I connect a "PCIe x8" SAS HBA controller card in the available Slot#4-PCIe x16[x4]? I am confused because if I take the HP installation sequence recommendations literally (see image below or link here), I am supposed to install internal PCIe storage in the Native M.2 PCIe slot or in Slot#3-PCIe x4 (which wouldn't work?!?).
  2. Can I just connect a "PCIe x4" SAS HBA controller card in the available Slot#3-PCIx4, without installing anything in the Native M.2 Slot?? Again the HP installation recommendations are a bit confusing.
  3. Can I connect a "PCIe x4" SAS HBA controller card in the available Native M.2 (PCIe x4) Slot? I am not sure if this is possible without some kind of an adapter.

bitsnbytes2_0-1633462301747.png

It seems to me that I could connect the HBA controller wherever it fits, but I just wanted to double check!

Thanks a lot!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Over 100+ views here and no response.  Having done much the same as your propose but years ago with older hardware,  I have a suggestion but you are not going to like it.  

Adding SAS and all the inherent wiring is going to raise temps in your box.   Consider getting a NAT from Synology or any similar company that has good support apps and well as a support community.  Maybe HP as similar offerings.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience BeemerBiker, I appreciate it. It is indeed a bit disappointing that none had anything to contribute until now...

What you mention is what I have read too about SAS-ing my consumer-oriented box and made me worry a bit. My idea was to add more fans in the box to counter that. You think it won't be enough to cool the HBA SAS controller, disks, etc?

Also, I started thinking about first experimenting/evaluating a setup of (natively supported) SATA disks (2xHDD and 2xSDD). If the performance is not good enough I might then consider getting the HBA SAS controller, connect the SATA HDDs on it and see how that performs.

You are very right about a NAS from synology or others but I find those platforms pricey and inflexible (at least here in the EU). That's why I started playing with a workstation first, as my requirements are not so high.

HP Recommended

When I retired I started collecting tv series complete seasons like star trek and star gate. It was easier to watch from a small tablet so I converted them to MP4. I used 2TB disks to store the movies. I tried some port multiplier to add additional disks but eventually got a DS918 NAS.

My son in a law firm here has DS218 (RAID) and a son stationed in Germany has one also (movies).

I hear you about the cost of these items in EU. I recently send my son in Grafenwoehr some used RX560 graphic cards to sell for me as the EU price of used cards easily exceeds what I paid new for them a few years ago. When he buys something on Amazon or from Dell, I get it first then ship it to him and it is a huge difference in price.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

perhaps posting your workstation related questions in the workstation forum instead of this consumer systems forum might be a way to  get a reply

HP Recommended

I would give you a kudo just because you have a BMW R1100rt!

In any case thanks for your informative and entertaining input!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.