Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I decided to buy an HP Pavilion 590-p002 with the following Specs.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 2200G

Memory - 8GB

PSU - 310W

Storage - 256GB m.2

I am coming from a 2011 Mac Mini. I haven't really needed anything more demanding than running a plex server and streaming music, so I have been content. Lately, I have had the itch to upgrade, but didn't want some giant desktop as an eyesore. The latest Mac Mini is the 2018 model and with the cost of an eGPU, just said screw it and started looking at different options. I saw this guy online at Micro Center and went and picked it up for 450. I had a 2TB 2.5" SSD in the Mini, that has since been moved over to the HP for storage.

8GB of RAM is pretty much useless in 2020 so I have already ordered 32GB. I would like to add a dedicated GPU, but the cage that holds the Disc Drive and the 2.5" definitely limits the length of card options. There is also the relatively small PSU. I can't be the first one that has tried to do this. It would seem that I could replace the PSU with different SFF one, but would need a 24 pin adapter. Any adapter recommendations? Once that is done, are there any suggestions for GPUs that will fit without removing the drive caddy? I will probably replace the CPU in the future at some point as well. Any issues with a 3700X?

Yes, I know I could have just bought a different computer. I like the look of this one, though. And it gives me something to tinker with.

Edit; Decided on just working with the 310w for now. Ordered a 1650 Super. Turns out there is no BIOS update for gen 3, so a 2700 it is. I'll order that after I do a power test with the new GPU running.

HP Pavilion 590-p0025
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TKsOpinion 

The PSU in those units is a proprietary design. Adapting or hacking an ATX 24 pin PSU is not suggested nor approved.  My spreadsheet has the correct PSU part numbers.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TKsOpinion,

I take note that you have read my other comments, as shown here.

Now you understand the 590 has a unique HP specific design for the PSU.    You did not complete the model # ?😀  so I can not make look up the specs. ie p0020d, 0020, 0024, 0027c as examples.

What do you mean by having to remove the hard drive caddy?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001

Sorry. Looks like it got cut off. HP Pavilion 590-p0025

I now see that. I would like to avoid tweaking a SFX PSU to work, but we'll see.

I meant that it looks like the caddy that's holding the disc drive may be in the way for certain GPUs. I haven't measured it or anything, but the 5 minutes I had it open to pop in the 2.5" drive made it seem like it may be in the way. I don't care much about losing the disc drive as I am honestly surprised it even has one, but the 2.5" is essential. 

HP Pavilion 590-p0025
HP Recommended

I just opened it up and took a better look. I am now less concerned with the drive caddy. It's not in the way as much as I had originally thought. Now it's mostly just a matter of power. It's gonna be tight. I may swap the CPU before ordering a GPU to see what I have to work with.

HP Pavilion 590-p0025
HP Recommended

@TKsOpinion 

The PSU in those units is a proprietary design. Adapting or hacking an ATX 24 pin PSU is not suggested nor approved.  My spreadsheet has the correct PSU part numbers.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Decided to go with a 1650 Super. It's only a 100W card and won't be pulling more than 54W from the 6 pin so a SATA power adapter should work fine.

HP Pavilion 590-p0025
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.