Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6-2033W
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Having serious issue trying to upgrade friend's HP desktop pc to achieve better gaming graphics.

Installed a new Nvidia GTX-1050Ti, and attached the monitor's DVI cable. PC won't boot up, and display remains blank.

There's nothing in the specs or literature from HP or from EVGA (the g-card maker) or Nvidia to suggest the card won't work with this pc from 2011 / 2012.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalled previous g-card Radeon HD5450 and booted up OK. CPU is a Pentium G630 which includes integrated Intel HD Graphics. Downloaded and installed Intel graphics driver and re-booted pc OK again.

Did another re-boot, this time entered BIOS and set Intel HD Graphics as primary display adapter. Did save & exit. after re-booting (no display) I shutdown and connected monitor to onboard DVI port (the Intel HD Graphics port).  Reinstalled new GTX-1050Ti. Booted up OK. Then successfully installed latest Nvidia graphics drivers for 1050Ti / Win 7 64-bit and rebooted OK (monitor still connected to Intel graphics. 

All attempts to boot up with monitor connected to GTX-1050Ti have failed.

There is no BIOS update available for this P6-2033W with Win 7 64-bit.

Power supply is original HP (made by BestTec) 300-watt.

GTX-1050Ti spec requires 300-watt (or greater) power supply. Maximum power draw of the 1050Ti is 75 watts when running at 100% graphics power (which certainly never happens during normal use).

I have a used 430-watt Corsair CX-430 psu I can try, and can also insert the GTX-1050Ti into a much newer pc with an Intel Haswell-compatible motherboard to prove the g-card is OK.

Before I go to those lengths can anyone tell me if the P6-2033W will work with a new generation of g-cards like the GTX-1050Ti? What about a new Radeon like the 460, maybe? If not, then what is the newest good g-card I could install, please Maybe a GTX-750TI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@southleft, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is that the GTX 1050Ti requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  There is no way to update the BIOS to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@southleft, welcome to the forum.

Your problem is that the GTX 1050Ti requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  There is no way to update the BIOS to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your succinct explanation. I had posted about the G-card problem a couple of other places in the PC enthusiast community, and the replies were generally of the "It won't work in an HP " or "The pc is too old", etc. 

I don't like vague explanations. Instead, I want to know why! So, again thanks for explaining the cause of my problem clearly and concisely. And, hey, keep up the good work!

Refurbised Nvidia 660  models at Newegg.com look overpriced to me. Yesterday, at a local used computer parts store called Green PC I picked up a clean looking Nvidia 9600GT 512MB. It's a small step up on the old Radeon HD4650 which was previously in the P6-2033W. The store was soak-testing a Radeon 6870 which they had just received as a trade-in, and I gave them my phone number to let me know if it passes muster (for about $40). That will necessitate an upgrade to the P6's power supply which would be OK considering the G-card doesn't cost much.

The P6 is a mini-tower, and I find it awkward to work on - cramped space, funny little meatal strips on the expansion slot separators, etc. The irony is that I helped my friends choose this pc back in 2012 when it was on sale at our local Staples store. They only wanted a basic everyday machine for email, internet, MS Word, etc. and they pooh-poohed the notion they would ever need any 3D-gaming power .... ha-ha!

My bad on selecting a GTX 1050Ti. I read a lot of specs, reviews, etc. and didn't see any mention of needing UEFI. My plan was to complete the upgrade by replacing the Pentium G630 65-watt cpu with a Core i5-2500S (also 65-watt), and replace the 2x2GB of DDR3-1066 with 2x4GB of DDR3-1333. I told them it was best to just do the G-card first and run it for a while to be sure we're on the right track (and maybe that alone would have achieved the graphics boost they wanted for World of Warcraft?) In spite of that advice, they went ahead and ordered the cpu and RAM. Anyway, after some eye-rolling on my part, it now seems incumbent upon me to somehow convert this 5-year-old basic pc into some sort of viable gaming rig. If a Radeon 6870 or maybe an Nvidia 650 / 650Ti becomes available at a sensible price, then the challenge will be to a) find a 500-watt psu that fits where the HP 300-watter sits and b) to ensure sufficient airflow for the whole system. This is my punishment for NOT telling them to buy or build a new pc!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @southleft.  It is my pleasure.

It sounds like you have figured out that you get what you pay for when it comes to computers.  I remember when I said I would never need a hard drive with more than 40 MB of storage.  I guess we all live and learn.  As my saying goes, Intelligence is God given, Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes.  I am a real wise guy today.  :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

Amen to that.

Actually, I KNEW the P6 had a 300-watt psu, and that the last thing a major brand wants is psu failures, especially under warranty. In any case, it's bad for business. In spite of many DIY-ers "dissing" HP, Dell, and others as being rubbish, the fact is that many, if not all, name brand PCs are built to last. Limited BIOS adjustments, modest wattage power supplies and basic airflow options may indeed limit upgrade options, but those PCs will usually run for many years if you blow the dust out now and then. We ran a Dell Dimension 4550 about 16 hours a day for 10 years before passing it on to my GF's daughter who in turn used it for another 4 or 5 years. The only change during its lifespan was a hard drive upgrade. And I've cleaned up / tuned up numerous HP, Compaq, Dell and Gateway machines over the years to keep them running. 

In my experience, the greatest enemies of PC longevity are dust, overclocking / over-volting, and insufficient cooling. These are usually in evidence with DIY gamers, the very people who say major brands are rubbish! The gaming rigs I built for my own use were based on the Athlon 3000+ (2005), the Core i7-965EE (2009/2010), and more recently on the Haswell Core i5-4590. The Core i7 and i5 are both running well. I've never O/C'ed any of them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.