cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
JJ_FIN
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Pavilion and GPU downgrade

HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming TG01-1000i (8BG55AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My daughter bought recently a few months old Pavilion Gaming TG01-1000i (8BG55AV) desktop computer from its’ previous owner. Previous owner had removed the external GPU card that PC had when it was initially purchased from local dealer. I’m not quite sure what GPU it exactly had when it was purchased, but I believe it was Nvidia of some sort.

I thought I could replace missing GPU with older GTX760 card and it would be just fine for my daughters light gaming. Unfortunately, this plan doesn’t seem to work at all. I can sure install the card just fine and seems like it’s getting enough power (power connector leds are green), but I can’t get any picture whatsoever. Monitor stays blank. BIOS doesn’t have any options to enable/disable neither external nor internal GPU and I’m running out of ideas here.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to get that old card working with the PC or do I have to accept that the card/GPU just isn’t compatible with the Pavilion? And if so, what GPU would be compatible?

5 REPLIES 5
Prométhée
Level 16
10,733 10,587 1,103 3,571
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
I seem to have already seen this type of problem with these new PCs, and old graphics cards.
I no longer know if it worked, or if nothing to do

with newer computers it is often necessary to deactivate the secure mode, but it seems to me that it did not work either

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2400-desktop-pc-series/5330783/model/5406819/doc...

if not, the computer may have originated from:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Super™ (6 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000i/32480786/model/2100382...

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000i/32480786/model/2100382...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button
Attention
A bios update is not without risk!
Be aware that if you are offered to do so, it will be at your own risk, the computer may become unusable, think about it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
JJ_FIN
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer and advice. I really do appreciate it.

I disabled the Secure Boot (as well as PCI slots security), but unfortunately that didn’t help even though disabling PCI slots security got me a step further. Now the integrated graphics can be used while the external graphics card is installed and powered up.

Seems like PC had previously a GeForce RTX3060Ti -GPU. At least Device Manager had such display adapter listed as hidden.

But, anyways, I am still not able to use that GTX760 graphics card since it doesn’t seem to give any signal and it’s not detected by Windows. I did test the card in another PC and it worked there just fine so it’s not broken.

Prométhée
Level 16
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possible, what is annoying with these models is that we have references which are now imprecise.
For most models if we give the product number P / N (unless the one given is not precisely one), we have a result for a given configuration

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000i/32480786/product-info
And there look in this list, I saw only these three references

So difficult to say precisely which one is it
try to give S / N serial number for research

https://support.hp.com/us-en

For the graphics card, it is surprising, but maybe it is no longer possible to use an old card, for security reasons precisely.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Attention
Be aware that if you are offered to do so, it will be at your own risk, the computer may become unusable, think about it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JJ_FIN
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You’re right, it’s very annoying that the information not exact and precise.

I have searched with the serial number and it identifies PC as TG01-1000i (8BG55AV) and so does the product number. TG01-1000i (8BG55AV) then has a dozens of different variations under Product Information and Product Specifications which is a bit confusing. Those three variations you listed are for a 0000i not for 1000i, which we have based on serial number.

Luckily, I have copy of dealer’s receipt and that identifies PC model as TG01-1433no, which is found among that huge list of different variations, and it has a RTX3060 as GPU. So, based on that and Device Manager, I am willing to say, that information on the dealer’s receipt is correct. Model variation therefore is a TG01-1433no.

So, what we got here is that serial number points you to the right direction but does not provide exact and precise information. And that leads you to a situation that it’s practically impossible to determine exact model variation unless you get that information or pieces of information from somewhere else. Not very user/customer friendly way to go.

Unfortunately, that information doesn’t take me any further except in the sense that now I know which GPU should work with this PC. But I find it very disappointing and frustrating that I cannot replace GPU with the one I want to. Of course, I should’ve known better, but I thought this kind of proprietary model would have already forgotten. Oh well, at least now I know to stay away from these in the future.

But, thank you Prométhée, for your effort on this!

Prométhée
Level 16
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it's very curious, that's why I gave you the link to the list, the only references found are those I gave, they can be found from the 1000i series page ..
If we regrade the model you indicate TG01-1433no
you should have Product Number 38A80EA somewhere ...
It's been a while since I say to myself that I will ask the question, it becomes ridiculous for us to find a model with these strange references!
now look at the list of computers that I gave, then look for those that have the same motherboard with a more or less powerful power supply
You can have some examples of usable model

Attention

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation