Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Phoenix Envy 860-014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

My brother purchased a refurb prebuilt, the Phoenix Envy 860-014, and I have been wanting to help him upgrade some of the components. However, I am having a very difficult time finding out things that DIY chassis specs would tell you, such as max GPU or PSU lengths allowed, size and number of fans that might be possible, CPU cooler clearance, etc.

Is there a place to find this info, or would anyone have the ability to provide some or all of those numbers? He doesn't live close enough for me to just go over and measure, myself, and he's too risk averse to get them for me lol but I will be visiting him in the near future and would like to make it something we can work on while I am there.

Many thanks, in advance, for everyone's help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@nufangdev , welcome to the forum.

HP is not in the business of building computers to be upgraded, except for their Omen Gaming computers.  This is why the information that you mention is not available.  The best you can do is, measure the space where the video card is to be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  Make certain there is enough space for good airflow.  Also, this will let you see if any of the other components will interfere with the installation.  You can encourage your brother to get this information for you.  It will be a good first step in his learning curve to upgrading computers.

The current power supply unit (PSU) can be measured and those measurements can be compared to the one that you choose.  Normally, most of the standard ATX PSU's will fit without any problems.

Here is a diagram of the Motherboard:

Capture.PNG

I can only see 4 fan headers/connectors listed on the diagram: CPU fan connector; Pump fan connector; System fan connector and VRM fan connector.  I believe that HP normally uses 90 mm fans.

The CPU cooler clearance varies from model to model.  However, I would normally suggest a cooler that is low-profile.  Noctua makes some good coolers.  Also, since there is a Pump fan connector you may want to see if a Corsair H55i liquid cooler would work.  The best way to make this determination is to call their Tech Support.  They are the experts on their products and should know which computer brands will work with them.  I am using a Corsair H150i liquid cooler in my Custom build.  I highly recommend their products.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  It will give you more information about the existing components.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you! Sorry for the delay. I was able to locate and glean a lot of what you linked, prior to posting my query, but the effort is appreciated all the same!

So I opted, at least at this time, to just replace his GPU, and went for the EVGA GTX 1650 SC Ultra (202.1 mm length, 75W TDP) - would this pose any problems? I tried to keep it within decent dimensions (not a Strix, for example, as the 3-fan configuration can be a bit long for some boxes), while still being a significant improvement over the GTX 745 OEM.

Many thanks, again!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @nufangdev!

According to the specifications on EVGA's website, the card requires a PSU with a minimum of 300W, but requires 1x6-pin power connector.  If the PSU has a 1x6-pin power connector there will be no problems that I can see from reviewing the specifications.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.