Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (151 Views)

Possibly have a dead external power brick would love opinions.

Product Name: HP Touchsmart 320
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I woke and I tried to turn my computer on but it looks like it isn't getting any power I believe the external power brick/power cable might be dead as it is 4 years old. If I take the power cable out of the computer and turn it on I get a green light on the power brick, if i then plug the power cable into the computer the green light on the power brick goes extremely faint and starts flashing, I have checked the wall socket everything is good I believe the power cable might be gone and was going to purchase a replacement but I would like to get some opinions as I don't want to waste money purchasing a new one if it isn't that.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: Possibly have a dead external power brick would love opinions.

If you don't see a power led lit on the PC, it is normally an indication of a dead or dying power adapter. 

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (120 Views)

There are no lights on the computer when trying to turn it on. I tried to check the power cable with a multi meter and from what I can tell the results were fine I have added a picture because I'm not sure if I was using the right settings as I haven't used a multimeter before. Would you still say the power cable is still faulty?

Thanks.

IMG_0007.JPG

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (116 Views)

A faulty power adapter, that is what it is called, can be checked for  voltage with a multimeter and show voltage , but not produce voltage when it is plugged in and under load.

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation