Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-One 23-q119 (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since Feb. 7 2018, after PC shuts down, the power light will no longer turn off, even waiting 30 minutes.  Now, after PC shuts down, I have to hold the power button for approx. 5 seconds to turn off the light.  In the past, power light went off once the PC shut down

What is the cause?

How to fix it?

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

The cause for that is quite likely to have been the installation of recent Windows 10 driver and operating system updates.

The only solution, if you find it awful and want to correct it, would be to go to Settings -->Update & Security and remove updates installed slightly before the Feb. 7 date.

Otherwise, just wait until the issues are corrected by Microsoft and HP. 

From what I perused in the Driver & software download portal for your PC, there are no new fixes specifically for the issue you have described.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Prior to posting my problem, I tried two suggestions:

1.  I  "Un"checked "Turn On Fast Startup" under Power Options/Shutdown Settings - no change.  Whether "Turn On Fast Startup" is checked or unchecked, power light stays on after shutdown and PC now takes at least 4-5 minutes to startup.

2.  I "restored" my PC and removed two updates prior to Feb. 7, 2018 - no change.  Power light stays on and PC now takes 4-5 minutes to startup.

It is my understanding that if I manually turn off the power light, after PC shut downs, it could damage the hard drive.  Not sure if this is true; it is the reason why I am trying to find a solution. 

HP Recommended

If the PC is actually shut down and only the power LED is remaining on, then holding the power button for four seconds to shut off the LED will not affect the operating system or the hard disk.

If the PC is not actually completely shut down and you can still hear the fan noise or see hard disk led activity, then holding the power button down for four seconds may cause issues. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Around Feb. 7 2018 after some Microsoft/Windows updates, PC power light will not turn off after shutting down.  Restoring PC back to earlier date, prior to updates, did not solve problem. 

Though PC looks as if it has shutdown - green screen shows "shutting down" than goes black, the LED power light remains on.  Fan is still running, though screen has gone black.   No other option but to manually hold down power button for several seconds in order to turn off power light.  It is my understanding this may cause some damage/issues to PC, so still looking for a solution.

Under Power Options/Shutdown Settings,  unchecking "Turn On Fast Startup" did not solve problem.

HP Recommended

Was there by chance an Intel MEI driver update at the time this began to happen?

If so, try rolling back to the previous IMEI driver software.

HP Recommended

I am not familiar with the workings of a PC/software or a lot of the terminology.  However, when problem started, Yes,  I did notice an "Intel" update.  On Feb. 11/18, I restored my PC prior to that Feb. 5th "Intel...Critical Update", but problem still exists. There are no other early Feb. 2018 Intel updates.

I do not know what IMEI driver means.  When I looked up "Intel Management Engine Interface" online and followed steps  under Device Manager/System Devices, I cannot find anything called "Intel MEI."

There was a Microsoft OneDrive updated Jan. 31. 2018.  There is a Security Update for Adobe Flash Player Feb. 11, 2018.

Though my issue is still not resolved, I appreciate any feedback offered.   Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Intel MEI and Intel Management Engine Interface are the same thing. 

The utility enables remote management of personal computers, in order to monitor, maintain, update, upgrade, and repair them.

You might even consider uninstalling IMEI. It won't hurt anything and may even resolve the issue you are having.

HP Recommended

As ridiculous as it sounds, turn off "Fast Startup".

Right-click on the Start icon, choose Power Options.

On the Power & Sleep screen (or whatever it is called in your version of Windows 10), Click "Additional power settings". It will either be on the right or bottom of the page, depending on your screen resolution.

That takes you to the old Windows 7 power options. In the Left column, click on "Choose what the power buttons do"

Click on the line with the sheild that says "Change the settings that are currently unavailable"

UNCHECK the box that is ironically titled "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)".  

Click "Save changes".

If this helped you, please consider doing a random act of kindness for a total stranger.

HP Recommended

The first thing I did when I came across power light problem in Feb. 2018 was turn off Fast Startup.  Unfortunately, this did not resolve anything.  Though Fast Startup is still turned off, to date, I am still having the problem...after shutdown, the LED power light remains on and has to be turned off manually.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.