Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-160se CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my Power Supply Unit (PSU) in the HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-160se desktop PC.  Will a standard ATX Power Supply Unit (e.g., the Cosair RM 650x PSU) fit my HP Envy Phoenix 860se desktop computer?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@dhboone,

This video is marginal.  Because of the excess length of the 650RM, if there is a lockup tab at the bottom edge of the existing PSU, it will not fit. You will have to look really hard to notice the small push down tab that would normally keep the PSU from sliding IF the rear screws were removed. It has a longer length than most ATX, it is 6.3" depth. (3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30").

Measure in space in front of your existing PSU, and add another 3/4 inch to allow the plug and cables,

as shown here.

Standard ATX PSU measurements (324 x 212).jpgCorsair CX600 rear view-1.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks but you didn't really answer my question.  I simply want to know whether the HP Envy Phoenix 860-160se takes a standard ATX PSU like the Cosair RM 650x.  Why did you show me a photo of a CX600?  And I don't know what a "push down tab" is.  Will the Cosair RM650x fit or not?  

HP Recommended

@dhboone,

The photo examples were a reference point.

If your computer has the push down tab, the Corsair RM650 will not latch.  If you can not comprehend technical directions,  and fail to look inside your computer for the latch, you are beyond any help.  It is just that simple

Example of latch:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06246365

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The best think you can do is to get clear view of the sides of the power supply and then bust out a ruler. If it's the same size then it should work. 

HP Recommended

There is nothing in the link you provided that mentions or shows what a "push down tab" or "latch" is or looks like.  And I don't appreciate your unprofessional comment about me being beyond help,  I'm asking a simple question because I don't know.  I may not be as technically adept as you are about installing and removing PC hardware, but that's why I ask the "experts" because I don't know.

HP Recommended

Raybill, thank you for your suggestion.  I tried doing that, but the problem is when trying to compare the measurements on my existing PSU with the Corsair, it was not easy to determine which dimension (Height, width, depth) matches the dimensions of the Corsair because they don't clearly show that on their stock photos.  I sent Corsair an email about it and all they said was their PSUs are ATX standard (whatever that means).  I suggested they clearly show the dimensions by making drawing lines on their photos, which would make it clearer for the average PC consumer.  I was hoping HP Support could help, but there is no email or phone contact listed by which I can reach them.  Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

I found this on the corsair website. https://www.corsair.com/ca/it/blog/how-to-build-a-pc---the-power-supply 

Hopefully that helps

Edit: here is a screenshot of what I was reading 

Screenshot_20200623-090030_Gallery.jpg

HP Recommended

@dhboone,

As explained, your existing PSU has a depth of 5.5".  Your choice of the RM650 has a depth of 6.3".

Per NewEgg (3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30"). on the Corsair RM650, and Corsair spec page does list the dimensions (

Dimensions 150mm x 86mm x 160mm) , as shown here.

So, in all honesty, as I said, It has the latch, so the RM650 will not latch-up.

Step 13
Push the power supply release latch on the side chassis and gently pull the power supply out of the chassis.

Now he will jump on you for showing an RM550 (if he plays fair).

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Ok. Thanks.  As I mentioned earlier, the Cosair and NewEgg photos don't make it clear which dimension is which because they leave off the H, W, and D in the dimension specifications (3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30").  For clarity, the H, W, or D should always be shown behind each figure to specify which number is which. Also, line drawings on the photo would help too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.