Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been following a rather torturous route here.

I decided to install internal RGB lighting in my Omen 870-244. That was probably my first mistake. However, I bought a Corsair Lighting Pro and it all worked out just fine. EXCEPT, there is only one USB 2.0 header on the mother board and that is what the Lighting Pro needs to connect. I had to remove the front USB 2.0 connector to accomodate.

I then started looking for ways to regain the front connectors and hit on the NZXT USB HUB. However, the HUB requires a molex power connection. I assumed all power supplies would have at least one. However, from what I can determine the power supply in the 870-244 does not. There are a number of SATA power connections, but no molex. I searched and found, finally, fem@le molex to fem@le SATA power adapter. However, in the end decided to bag that solution and just upgrade from the LIghting Node Pro to the Commander Pro.

The Commander Pro is more than I need as I don't have any fans to control, however, is uses SATA power and has two USB 2.0 connectors. So, I can connect it to the mother board and then connect the front USB 2.0 connectors to it. It's a much cleaner solution. 

Much wasted time, some wasted money all due to an assumption on my part. It seems molex connectors are a thing of the past although most commercially available power supplies, both modular and semi modular and non-modular, all have at least one.

Am I missing something?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You can use a PCIe adapter which supplies USB connections to add  internal & external USB connections to your Omen desktop.

See the following link at NewEgg.com for examples of what I have described.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pcie+t...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the recommendation. What I need is an internal USB header type connection rather than a internal USB port. Also most of these cards require a power connection, many of them molex, which is my issue now with the HUB I abandoned. One or two use SATA power connections.

However, I didn't see any that provide a internal USB header type connection like that on the mother board. I don't really need external USB connections at this point although perhaps a 10G 3.1 Gen 2 might be a good thing to have as the Omen doesn't have any Gen 2 A or C ports.

HP Recommended

Why is it that you say there is only one USB 2.0 header on the motherboard?

If the following image depicts the Thimpu-K motherboard in your PC there should be two USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 header as well.

Thimpu_K.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

yes, you missed the fact that the USB connector port on the motherboard is actually TWO usb 2.0 ports (9 pins)  and that you can buy single 4 pin usb female to male cables to   allow each device a usb port

another option is this device

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-9-Pin-Header-2x5-to-Dual-USB-A-Female-Port-I-Type-Internal-Adapter/...

or this  (also made as a  4port item)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9pin-USB-header-Male-1-to-2-Female-Extension-Cable-Card-Motherboard-...

HP Recommended

The first item would not work for me as I need a header type connector. The second item would likely work. I did intially order an iten like that, but it was comoing from China and I wasn't confident of the quality based on the various reviews of the companies products. I've had an issue before returning items that were not working to companies based in China. So, I opted to cancel the initial order. I did get the refund.

HP Recommended

That is a picture of the mother board from the HP specs sight. I didn't see a second USB port that is not used. I believe the two USB 2.0 headers are being used by the two USB ports on the front of the case. However, I'll check more closely. The USB 3.0 has a plug so that one header serves two ports on the front panel. I think the USB 2.0 are one for one. If that is as I remember it, I would still have to lose the functionality of one of the front USB ports to connect the internal lighting. I'll check though.

Thanks for the replies.

HP Recommended

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9Pin-USB-header-to-Quad-9P-Female-Extension-Cable-Desktop-Motherboar...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9Pin-USB-header-to-Dual-9pin-Female-Extension-Cable-9-pin-1-to-2-Por...

or use two of these cables to break out both motherboard usb ports when the USB device you want to connect uses only half of the 9 pin header (connector covers all 9 pins but only uses wires to on side) just make sure you get the wiring correct as a backwards connection can cause MB damage

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.7e094c4dpYEJEp&orderId=963197888215...

HP Recommended

I'm back with some clarification. 

1. There definitely is no molex connector from the power supply. I did find an adaptor, fem@le molex to fem@le SATA that would work to correct that issue. So, if I decide to use the NZXT HUB I would need to get one of those.

2. There are two USB 2.0 connectors on the mother board. One feeds the two USB 2.0 ports on the front panel. It is a nine 9 pin connector that I assume provides two USB 2.0 ports.

3. The second USB 2.0 connector had a four pin white connector doing to the front panel. The only front panel connections not accounted for so far are the audio connections and the card reader. I assume the four pin is the card reader. So, if I want the use of that, I'll need to provide a USB internal header to which to attach it, or a 9 pin internal header to which to move the front panel USB 2.0 port connector.

So, in order to use the Corsair Lighting Pro, I had to scavage one of the 9 pin USB headers which means disconnecting something from the front panel. I then need some way to provide more USB 2.0 headers. None of the PCIe cards I saw provided internal headers and some required molex power. The NZXT hub also requires molex power.

My solutions are either to buy a molex to SATA adapter of which I could only find one example to power the NZXT hub or to replace the Corsair Lighting hub with the CorsairCommander Pro. The latter uses SATA power and provides additional USB headers. Another solution is to buy one of the smaller, non-powered USB "splitters" to break out the USB header on the mother board to two USB 2.0 ports. The only ones I have found are made in China and are of dubious reputation. They are, however, cheap and it may take a month or to to get one here based on shipping estimates.

HP Recommended

In conclusion: It seems the simplest, though more expensive solution is to upgrade to the Corsair Lighting Commander. Getting the SATA to molex connector requires a adapter cable and uses up a second SATA connection. The Commander does not since it replaces the Lighting Pro. Splitting the USB header is a little less of an issue, but the little hub is rather dubious. The more direct and elegant solution is to upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.