Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq DC7700 CMT
Microsoft Windows XP

I inherited an HP Compaq DC7700 CMT( convertible Mini Tower), and want to install my XFX series XT power supply in it.

it appears that the mounting holes for the screws may be different. Neither PSU are available for side by side comparison.

can someone verify that?

and, is there a way to install a ' standard atx' PSU in that dc7700.

if so what will it take to get it in.

The XFX PSU will fit physically, and it appears the mobo connectors are all compatible.

my only concern at this time is if the new XFX PSU will mount to the back of the tower.

I plan on installing a larger hard drive with Windows7 on it, two spare HDD's  along with updated network and graphics cards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your correct, the PSU's do not line-up. 

What has been done in the past is what is pictured here. You just make an adapter plate.

Be aware that only Legacy graphic cards will work.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your correct, the PSU's do not line-up. 

What has been done in the past is what is pictured here. You just make an adapter plate.

Be aware that only Legacy graphic cards will work.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. 

Do you happen to know anyone that may have an adapter plate? Or the dimensions to make one?

I don't quite know what you mean by 'legacy graphics card', but I have already installed an XFX ONE PCI-Express graphics card and there appears to be no problem so far. It wasn't much of a task to go into the BIOS and disable the on-board graphics.

PS>> I am 73 years old and retired. How do I make my 'status' to NOT be a student? 

HP Recommended

The adapter plate is unique.  Never seen it before.  Might be homemade.

Computers prior to Sept 2012 are considered Legacy BIOS, and use graphic cards that conform to that standard.  As to the "tags',  it is just a level name. 

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

The supplier for the PSU kit in the link you provide above can sell me a bracket, but from the image, I can't tell if the hole pattern to mount in on/in the HP DC7700 CMT is correct.  

I suppose I can buy it and modify if necessary.

Thanks again for the response(s).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.