Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6298d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavilion P6298d randomly goes blank momentarily  and comes back on when viewing video in full screen on a HP2309m monitor.  I think the HP graphics card Geforce GT230 is the problem.  Computer is Running on windows 10 ver 21H1 smoothly except for this random problem.   Contemplating upgrading the graphics card to Nvidia Geforce GT630 or GT730.  Need to know if the power supply unit rating is good enough for the cards.  I could not locate the power rating on the psu cage, there is no sticker on the cage that gives the rating.   Can anyone  with the same machine let me know the rating? 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Benjamin47 -- is this your computer: HP Pavilion p6290d Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

If not, it is very similar to yours.

It lists a 300 Watt power-supply, and both an integrated graphics adapter, and an add-in graphics card.

Can you connect a different monitor, to see if the symptoms continue ?

Can you remove the add-in graphics adapter, and connect the monitor to the integrated video?  Do you still get the symptoms?

HP Recommended

No.  It is not my PC.  It is Pavilion p6298d.  No integrated graphics card.  Just the Geforce GT230.  If I remove this card, I will not be able to connect to a monitor.   The p6298d came with 6 Gb memory.   It is connected via HDMI cable to HP monitor 2309m.

The momentary  black out occurs randomly but infrequently.   Have tried with different HDMI cable.  No change.   Do not have another monitor to test out.  Is it possible to find the exact spcifications for p6298d?

HP Recommended

@Benjamin47 --  It is not my PC.  It is Pavilion p6298d. 

I did ask if it was similar to your PC.

No integrated graphics card.  If I remove this card, I will not be able to connect to a monitor.  

Really? Is there no VGA port amidst all the other ports (USB, Ethernet, audio) ?

It is connected via HDMI cable to HP monitor 2309m.

Your  HP Pavilion 2309m Monitor - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

has VGA & DVI & HDMI input ports.

Do not have another monitor to test out. 

Do you have any family or friends with a monitor that you can borrow?

Or, do you (or family/friends) have a laptop that has a VGA or DVI or HDMI output, so that you can try your monitor with a different computer?

Is it possible to find the exact specifications for p6298d?

Yes, you can, using any search-engine (DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing, et cetera).

HP Recommended

@Benjamin47 

Capture.JPG

There are 5 video-connection possibilities. From left to right:

1. Integrated VGA port, and no add-in video-adapter.

2. VGA cable, connected to VGA-to-DVI adapter, connected to DVI port on add-in video-adapter.

3. DVI cable, connected to DVI port on add-in video-adapter.

4. HDMI cable, connected to HDMI-to-DVI adapter, connected to DVI port on add-in video-adapter.

5. HDMI cable, connected to HDMI port on add-in video-adapter.

So, remove the add-in video-adapter, and borrow & use a VGA cable to connect to the VGA port on your monitor.

HP Recommended

There are no other video port except those on the graphics card.  Of course there are USB ports, but there is no USB input for my monitor.  Would you like a picture of the back of p6298d to show there are no other video ports???

I did have problem with the connection via VGA or the dvi on the GT230.    It was unstable and black out all together in the midst of word processing.   Had switched to connect via HDMI and that was much better for a couple of years and only recently, this random behaviour started to show.  I think the monitor is solid.  The graphics card was making some noise about a week ago. Took it out and clean it and put back.  No more noise but still getting the random momentarily black out and back on, the monitor power is always on and the audio can be heard while he black outs occur.

Now about the pc specifications.   I have tried a few search engine, just can't find it.  Does HP knowledge base have a copy?

I had Samsung SSD on this PC  and it is running very smoothly on W10 ver 21H1, boots within a few second and would like to keep using this PC.  

The HP2309m monitor is a very solid monitor.   Oh, I must mention I did have the problem with the video graphics card before.   This was within six months of using the p6298d.  No picture on monitor.  Customer service took the CPU and brought back the CPU.  Within two days, the video graphics failed.  This time round the service agent took back the CPU and spent a month solving this problem plus an intermittent problem of the power-on switch not able to power up the pc.  Since then it has served me well through upgrading to windows 10.   Would like to have the specifications in case I wanted to upgrade some components, maybe a 2 GB graphics card.    

Thank you for the info.

HP Recommended

The back of p6298d does not look like the one you show.  No integrated vga port.  A bunch of USB ports and a collection of Audio points.    

HP Recommended

p6298d2.jpg

This is the pic of the back of my p6298d.  You can see the GT230 card and the wireless card with the antenna terminal.  NO other video  port.

HP Recommended

@Benjamin47 -- I cannot view your image. One of the forum's moderators needs to "approve" the image, before it will (eventually) becomes visible.  Obviously, the moderator will not approve any "Not Suitable For Work" image -- I am not saying that your image could be NSFW.

Meanwhile, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

for the physical appearance of the VGA port on your computer.

HP Recommended

I KNOW  WHAT A VGA PORT LOOKS LIKE.   THERE IS NO NEED TO REFER ME TO A PIC OF A VGA PORT.   IF THEERE IS NO USEFUL INFO, PL DO NOT FEED TRIVIALITY.   

THIS IS MY SIXTH DESK TOP COMPUTER AND I AM USING AN ALL IN ONE TOUCH SMART COMPUTER RIGHT NOW.   I AM SEEKING AN OFFICIAL SPECIFICATIONS.   I HAVE SEEN THE SETUP POSTER THAT YOU POSTED AND IT IS DEFINITELY NOT WHAT THE BACK OF MY p6298d LOOKS LIKE.   I HAVE GONE ALL OUT TO TAKE A PIC SO THAT YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND ALSO WHY I NEED TO KNOW THE SPECIFICATIONS.

PERHAPS HOPEFULLY A HP PERSONNNEL COULD ENLIGHTEN ME.

I COULD FORWARD A PIC TO YOU TO YOUR EMAIL A/C IF YOU LIKE.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.