benlminton
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power supply upgrade needed?

HP Pavillion 590-p0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add a graphics card to this unit, a GTX-1660. This unit has a power supply that says its only 310w max. I assume that the video card will need more than that. The power supply looks to be model number PCG007, manufactured by AcBel Polytech. HP website says the motherboard is Lincs 843B. There are 3 connectors from the PSU to the motherboard, and neither are a 20 or 24 pin connector. There are two 4pin connectors that are pretty common, but there is also a very slim white 7 pin male connector that comes off the motherboard, and the 7 pin connector that comes from the PSU only has 3 wires in it, one green, black and gray. it plugs into the thin 7 pin straight connector that is labeled ATX1. This power supply looks smaller than an ATX supply. Im very confused about my options for a more powerful PSU that will fit this case and has the right connectors for this motherboard. HP agents do not seem to know much. Can anyone help me?

1 REPLY 1
Level 17
Level 17
46,718 40,979 4,449 11,588
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power supply upgrade needed?

Yes to use the GTX-1660 you would need to upgrade the PSU.

The GTX-1660 needs a 6-pin  PCIe power  connector and the original PSU does not have one.

The problem is that the installed PSU requirement is for a small form factor type rather than the standard ATX form PSU that is more common. You are correct in that the PSU connector is Proprietary and not standard.

That does mean that upgrading to a more powerful video card and PSU with your PC isn't really a viable option.

Sorry that I don't have better news to give you..

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
You can click on accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.
You can say thanks for my response by clicking on the blue thumbs up.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation