Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 23 all in one g010

I have two questions 

1. On the power switch (front panel) , which colours are for power switch, reset, etc, the colours are red, white, green, black, brown and orange. 

2. Can I add an extension switch on this pc I.e a push button with longer cable, (in this can I bypass the front panel board by switch?) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The first thing to do is  consider safety and unplug  household power from the PC.

I would use a multimeter in continuity mode to see which  two wires go from to the  two power pins on the mother board to the power switch. The two pins are normally right next to each other on the motherboard header connector.

Once you have done that you can use a momentary contact dual pole single throw switch like the one you linked to.  Only two of the pins are for powering on. The other two are for the power on LED.

It will not matter which of the power pin wires you connect to the mother board header because the purpose of the power button is to short the pins on the motherboard header. There is no polarity issue to be concerned about when connecting the switch.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Dan99991,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

• The colors you've mentioned might not necessarily correspond to specific functions like power switch, reset, etc., as the colors of wires can vary depending on the manufacturer and model of the PC. However, typically, the wires for power switch, reset switch, power LED, and HDD LED are labeled or color-coded on the motherboard itself rather than on the wires. You would usually consult the motherboard manual to determine which wire corresponds to which function.
  • Adding an extension switch is possible, but it requires some technical knowledge and careful consideration. You would essentially be bypassing the front panel board by connecting the extension switch directly to the appropriate pins on the motherboard. This can be done, but you need to ensure that you're connecting the switch correctly to the corresponding pins for the power switch function.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

The first thing to do is  consider safety and unplug  household power from the PC.

I would use a multimeter in continuity mode to see which  two wires go from to the  two power pins on the mother board to the power switch. The two pins are normally right next to each other on the motherboard header connector.

Once you have done that you can use a momentary contact dual pole single throw switch like the one you linked to.  Only two of the pins are for powering on. The other two are for the power on LED.

It will not matter which of the power pin wires you connect to the mother board header because the purpose of the power button is to short the pins on the motherboard header. There is no polarity issue to be concerned about when connecting the switch.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks, where do I find the manual for the motherboard- pavillion 23 all in one, Alice Amber motherboard 

Or do you have the wiring for the adapter in picture. 

1000015614.jpg

1000015612.jpg

1000015613.jpg

HP Recommended

It would have helped if you had provided some context with the images.

Is that connector you are holding for the power switch?

Does it plug in to that small black header between the other two larger one?

Are you not familiar with the use of a multimeter?

You don't need a schematic of the system board to do what you described. all you need to do is use a meter to find the two pins the complete the power on circuit when the power button is pressed.

HP does not provide system board schematics.

If you join the badcaps.net forum, you might find some schematics there or perhaps relevant boardview files.

Those of us who are capable of component level board repair, use our electronics knowledge and datasheets of discrete chips to troubleshoot to the component level.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.