Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Putting SSD in HP Touchsmart 610-1130y

HP Touchsmart 610-1130u
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm interested in upgrading my Touchsmart 610-1130y to SSD, but I'm having trouble finding information.

If I'm not mistaken, technically, "any" computer from the past decade can get an SSD.  I'm probably going to get most stuff online, so I want to be sure it's compatible.  The problem is, I can't find any SSDs which are "officially" compatible with this model.  Does that matter?

I know I will need a mount. 

From what I can tell, there is only one slot for a HDD in this model.  If so, I will probably end up using the old HDD as a slave drive.  The best way to do this is an external enclosure.  Is there anything to look for in an external enclosure?  Since it's going to have to be USB 2.0, is there an enclosure that HP recommends?

Lastly, this being the case, it seems like the "best" order of doing things is, putting the SSD in the external enclosure, formating it with Windows 10, then switching out my HDD. 

4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
76,739 76,155 9,337 20,173
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ctnguyenwrote:

... Lastly, this being the case, it seems like the "best" order of doing things is, putting the SSD in the external enclosure, formating it with Windows 10, then switching out my HDD. 

Hi,

You won't be wrong when doing that. Your machine ONLY use SATA II, its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02860993

Therefore SSD won't help you much in terms of speed. But still a lot of improvement.   Depending on what are you trying to do, you can clone okd HDD to SSD (very simple) then swap or simply do a clean install of Windows 10 (a lot more works).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
sshjaguar Top Student
Top Student
6 6 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I put a ADATA 3D NAND 480gb SATA III SSD in my HP Touchsmart 610-1050f (as well as long ago the max 16gb of RAM, I only every use 9 or 10 at the top end of RAM consumption.. but with virtual machine hypervising it is very nice).. long story short, my all-in-one is SOOO fast now.. Windows Update took less than 5 minutes to install 80 updates, run them, and restart windows completely. It will now do a full restart in under 30seconds as well. I would say it got 10x better (and my CrystalDiskMarkPortable scores proved it was the case). I will never run HDD as boot drive again, secondary backup and storage drives only for this guy. Hope this helps as insight!

0 Kudos
kevindp78 Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What was the result of your upgrade? I'm thinking about doing this as well... can you share the specs for what you used and, if possible, the steps you took?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
10,382 9,759 1,324 3,577
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kevindp78,

You likely will not get an value from your inquiry as @sshjaguar  has not been on the forum since Oct 2018.

2 different models of the HP 610 are referenced.   HP 610-1150y  and HP 610-1050f  

Both have different motherboards and processors. So its apples and oranges to ask your question.

You would be better served if you created a NEW inquiry, listed your computer model, and asked your question.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation