Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just upgraded the RAM on my Phoenix and can't seem to get into the BIOS or any utility to enable Intel XMP profiles. The "Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility" reports I have "KAI v80.07" for the System BIOS.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP consumer PCs don't support using XMP profiles per se.  This type of function is supported with an enthusiast level motherboard. The BIOS in your PC will negotiate the proper dimm speed for your PC. 

If the dimms that you purchase support speeds such as 1866, 2400, 3200 then you are out of luck. You will basically get the default 1600.  To get 1600 then all dimms must support that speed and be able to work together.  Using matched dimms will produce the best results.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

I greatly appreciate your very prompt response. I figured something like this would result, I'm just learning all about this. In chatting with HP Support they recommended to disable "Secure Boot" and enable "Legacy Mode" to be able to access the setting? It makes sense, since I currently can't seem to access any "real" BIOS menu, but I fear I'll do that and find no XMP profile option--based on what you're saying.

For your reference, I purchased Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory CMY16GX3M2A1600C9, which according to the HP Support specs page for my desktop is the fastest speed supported. Windows is reporting it's running at 1333MHz though.

Here's a screenshot of the setup and what Windows is reporting:

Ram Setup

HP Recommended

Hi,

I mentioned in my previous post that that dimms should be a matched set or you might have issues.

1. Please explain in detail the installation process that you used when installing the new dimms.
  2. How many dimms were originally installed in your PC?
  3. Did you removed the old dimms?  Only two dimms are being recognized by Task Manager.
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had read that online too when researching, so that's why I did the following:

1. I turned off the desktop. Left it alone for about 5 minutes. Disconnected the power cord (kept everything else plugged). I removed the 8GB 1600MHz stick that came with the computer when I purchased it, I believe it was in either slot #2 or #3. I installed the new 2x8GB sticks from the 16GB 1600MHz kit I purchased, one in Slot #1 and the other in Slot #3. I turned on the PC and went into the Diagnostics to perform a Quick Memory Test, which passed. After that, I started the PC normally and everything was acting without any hiccups (except that the RAM is running at 1333MHz, as I noted earlier).
  2. 1 8GB stick was originally installed on the PC.
  3. Correct, I only have the new memory kit installed on the PC right now (I wanted to isolate any issues in case it was defected).
HP Recommended

Hi,

The new dimms should be installed in the blue sockets.

Try clearing the CMOS and see if that makes a difference.

1. Power off and unplug the PC.
  2. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
  3. Move the clear CMOS jumper over 1 pin to the right for 60 seconds and then return it to the original position. See the below image.

Kaili clear CMOS.jpg

Download and use CPU-Z to verify the memory speed.

HP Recommended

Hi again,

They were in the black sockets (#1, #3) and I moved them to the blue ones (#2, #4). What's the reasoning behind this?

I followed those steps, and I got the following in CPU-Z:

CPU-Z Results

Task Manager still reports 1333MHz.

HP Recommended

Sorry to bother, but any further recommendations? Should I try disabling "Secure Boot" and enabling "Legacy Mode?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

Post the SPD tab information for both slots.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. Here ya go:

Slot #2

spd-slot2.PNG

Slot #4

spd-slot4.PNG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.