Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30l (GT13-0380t)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just added new RAM to my desktop. I bought the same RAM that shipped with my unit (HyperX® 32 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM). I had 32Gb in here originally however I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 64GB. I added two new sticks (16GB) to the desktop and the system recognizes all RAM sticks. Prior to this, the 32Gb of RAM was running at 3200mh. When I added the other two sticks to the motherboard, the RAM is now running at 2400mh. I have the Intel® Core™ i9-10850K processor and RTX-3090 in my system. I've been looking around as to why the drop in speed when adding new RAM and I've gotten mixed info. Some say it's not possible and other sites say it is however you need to uninstall the XTU that came with the system and install an older version. In the OMEN overclocking menu, the system is set to run at 3200mh like I want however, when I look at the RAM speed through the command line, it's still showing as 2400mh. 

Was purchasing this RAM a waste or is there someway to get the RAM to run at the speed I want it to?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

DDR4 RAM comes with different internal speeds. 

Presumably, the original RAM was running at 3200, while the newer RAM maxes-out at 2400.

Return the new RAM, and purchase RAM that is certified to run at 3200.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.