Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Rx580
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm using an ancient h8-1010 from like 10 years ago and the first time I upgraded the gpu to a nvidia Gtx760 and works fine but i bought an rx580 now and i tried EVERYTHING but there is no signal.

Does my motherboard not support rx580? I read something about legacy/uefi but my h8-1010 with pegatron 2AB5 motherboard does not have a legacy mode or secure boot option in the bios. If it's because of no uefi then how come my gtx760 works just fine?

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
@Gregzoid  from what we know, if the bios is in version 7.xx
as here the latest version available

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-desktop-pc-series...
Newer graphics cards cannot work.
It is indeed maybe odd that the one you tested works, but maybe it supports both modes, which is not the case for the latter.

No updates to version 8.xx, so there would be nothing to do
sorry

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

rx580 +  H8-1010

well that RX card, you see the spec shows, 185watt card,

over75watt cards, you see the end of card clearly has 12AUX power jacks there, 12makers of cards, use 6 or 8pin AUX power and in pairs too..(look first for 12AUX _PCIe power jacks, there.(on card) they are there only counts matter.

and are MANDATORY !

the wiki on both covers this, power issue.

no it is not UEFI 

the used card could be bad test in a 2nd PC< proves that, for sure buying used cards, some fail only when HOT.

I furmark  test all mine, to proved that. after it working. cold.

all pins in the card AUX 12 or ground must not be missing, if wired on card are not optional ever,..  this is a rule !

have hard proofs,. (hands on vast cards me)

good luck, and make sure monitor is port selected correctly.  (it will show, no signal if PC port is dead, if not cycle power on monitor see?

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

@savvy2  Now that is a new old timer quote that is insightful

"I am older than dirt but faster than the speed of dark."

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

what PSU do you have,

I guess, still factory H8?   300watt PCi, is marginal I run only 500w to 700watts on any high powered GPU for sure 200watt up.

have 300watt GPU cards here. to test PCs.   that new card put the PSU in marginal power state .

also 300 watts is kind of a lie , what matters only is amps per rail this is the truth and only truth for sure some are shared.

PSU have some rails shared,  I run only PSU , with modern new, single rail 12vdc PSU and never ever fails on any card,. ever.

it must handle the 180W extra too.

that PSU can be replaced easy, the PC uses normal ATX PSU, 24pin / 4 pin,

so get new one with single rail 12vdc feature and 2 ,  aux cables built in to PSU.  for huge currents to any GPU on earth.

I use corsair but there are many good. ones.

HP Recommended

650watt psu. I changed it a couple of years ago when i bought a gtx 760 gpu. Should be enough power for an rx580. 

I'm getting contradicting answers. Half says newer uefi gpu's are NOT compatible with older legacy mobos (even though they fit). And the other half saying this is bs and new cards should run on any mobo.

Really out of ideas here. Probably gonna try and get my money back :/. 

HP Recommended

yes it is easy to get contradicting answers, after  all UEFI is complex is used.

only you can read the BIOS settings, see them all 1 by 1 , see if any of there are turned on.

yes SOME PCs flat refuse to run non OEM GPU cards if you turn these on, even my dells do,  for sure, as one example.

Secure boot, if that is one UEFI class version 2 or 3 will fail to allow alien cards on some OEM PCs.

take my grade ASUS here Z270prime, it has both bios version in one,  UEFI and  CSM mode..(compat. support module)

you can have MBR boot or GPT boot and card restrictions are not there. no problem here.

fastboot or not, works, Fast boot (not fast bios load) is w10 loading from image files only and easy to turn on or off to test.

and TPM must not be turned on if seen there I bet not but really does anyone on earth know all BIOS all versions and all PCs,

what I do is look at every inches of BIOS to glean all that, in 10 minutes work every page,  there are no BIOS books sadly.

TPM is chip do not use it, it is for CIA and not for any GPU upgrading GAMER< or the like.  avoid TPM .

thanks for the  650watt statement but what model is it? amps matter and both AUX connectors and all pins wired

that PSU is ok I bet.

let me tell you ,  some OLD  GPU are no  good here, (it IS NOT A RUMOR< but gee Vast cards 12 makers wow for ages.)

there are 12 maker of boards, not told yet,  but some do fail .  they  are rare, most makers want the card to work on all PCs or go broke fast , as desktops are  a collapsing market, why purposely do that to there selves?, Game boxes do grow, not PC.

one card even had a legacy/UEFI  slider switch in the center fans lost, later i ask the maker how that is now gone?

Yes some did by accident. (vbios messed up) do know that upgrading your PCs BIOS can help.

their answer it is AUTOMATIC< called new VBIOS, learn too that some have VBIOS upgraded to cure this old cards bad VBIOS

but if secureboot is NOT ON there should not be any problem for sure NEW CARDS, for sure.

new PCs 2020+ are going full UEFI Version 3, and will  not run any old card. lacking UEFI.

I do feel that pain of bad cards or buggy Vbios if true seen it and know the pain, of  dead cards or PC/s

HP Recommended

Hello
@Gregzoid  from what we know, if the bios is in version 7.xx
as here the latest version available

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-desktop-pc-series...
Newer graphics cards cannot work.
It is indeed maybe odd that the one you tested works, but maybe it supports both modes, which is not the case for the latter.

No updates to version 8.xx, so there would be nothing to do
sorry

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have done tests in my shop even back to year 2005 PC (the oldest w10 runs on with old CORE 2 DUO, junk PCs

EVEN Pentium D ,D940

w10-64bit fresh load all.

then pulled down (in my lab) my huge box of GPU Cards, from that old to even brand new.

every single card run perfectly, even old dell 380 (using cards offical driver from each of  12 possible makers)

or my HP Z600, runs them all. zero problem GS4600 up. cards.

even newest GTX1650 works Zortac, GTX1070 same. or amd /ati  R9 SERIES NO PROBLEMS EVER. FROM AMD .

NOT THE TRICKY PART OF W10 INSTALLER.

if you use the large ISO< from MS

it will load 64bit if PC supports it, not 32, unless 64fails or it asks you.

next is the tricky part, UEFI.

iF you have secureboot turned on in BIOS it loads to only that.

so to reverse that , turn off secure boot and reload, w10 and to empty HDD,/SSD>

if not it lands as Secure boot.

running w10 now

do start in run box type,  system information

see secure boot =  off.

simple test, and if on , video cards old  or even swapped new to new are banned on some oEM PC.

on those PC doing that is that the secure boot thinks you are hacking the PC with new card, of any kind, (a goal them to block you.)

yes all this  is a pain,

HP Recommended

most PCs made ,  OEM

if you are not  using secure boot any card works

I have not tested all HP PCs, z600 yes and runsover 20 new and old cards, tested by me.

OP  please turn off

BIOS secure boot !

then load w10 fresh.

see no more secure boot OS (microsoft tells you how)

then try any card you want.  (for sure I can not speak for all 12 GPU card makers GPU new cards, 2020+ that may in fact be secure boot UEFI cards only IDK,)   (im not asking all 12 or buying $5000+ worth of cards to learn it )

but tell me way any GPU card maker would block sales to 1+ full decade of ALL PC made, that be super crazy, loss of sales

like  dropping a brick. (hara kiri)

OP do my test first type,  system information , read the words secure boot = off.

if yes, the card should work. IMO ! tests vast , not seen any fail. OEM or  none.

my GTX1650 is Turing  class new GPU card and testing in vast PC here, old to new, HP and Dell all. pass done RIGHT.

I call bad card or Secure boot = ON.  one or the other.

HP Recommended

Hey sorry I'm not that experienced with PSU's, all I know is it's a corsair RM650 and the wires (8 pin) is connected just like i do it for my gtx760 (my rx580 only has 1x 8 pin, my gtx760 has 1x 8 and 1x6) so  i just leave the 6 hanging there .

The light lights up white with the PSU cable connected, and the fan spins when I turn on my PC, but that's all that happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.