Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

A friend plunked his HP 'Berks' on my lap, saying after an update it wont come on. What I have found is that power to the video card and most of the panel ( mouse keyboard) aren't powered as well. No lights on the motherboard but the CPU fan and others are in full bloom. Any suggestion on bringing this back to life? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@bstacy Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, let's perform a power reset as per HP standards:

• Ensure your device is OFF.
  • Unplug all the external devices (If any).
  • Disconnect the power from the computer
  • Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • Connect the power supply
  • Press the power button to turn on your device and check if the issue persists.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

Hey Riddle,

It is not a laptop. The HP 795 desktop series has the Berks motherboard.

@bstacy,

Since you added your inquiry to another OP's inquiry, which was dated Feb 2019, I felt it was better served if it could be separated from that issue. It would be of great benefit to know the following:

1) Exact model number of this HP 795 series desktop, so the original specs can be referenced.

2)  The model number and wattage of the current PSU.  The Berks PSU are non-ATX. Their proprietary units.

3) Any added hardware beyond the original specs?

4) Did the owner force an update to WIN 10 version 1903, or was part of the normal updater process?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yes, It's a tower - and it's a 790-0029 exactly. I have investigated as far as I'm able - couldn't test the PSU as I believe it just may be the problem, not sure. Powers up the fans but the back panel, USBs, the Video, mouse, keyboard are not receiving power. Apparently it died after a Win 10 update. Thanks if you're able to assist.

HP Recommended

@bstacy,

You are not answering all the questions.

Is this an unmodified unit?   Was the WIN 10 update a "roll-out" authorized by Microsoft or did the owner download the 1903 from a site?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The owner indicated that it was a common windows update a 'rollout', that came and installed automatically - which one specifically I cannot say. This is an unmodified computer. He has mentioned that he experienced power surges, so now I am suspecting a spike may have damaged the PSU. Is there any way to measure the PSU's output? I am familiar with testing a normal PSU but this one is proprietary and does not share common connectivity. Thank you for assisting

HP Recommended

@bstacy 

HP has not shared that info with the volunteers. You can enter the part # here.

@Riddle_Decipher  do you have an idea?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi again, the PSU part # is 942332-001 and the model: 400w ent18 psa92, though the part wasn't found in the site.

Now, being that there is some life in the PSU to turn on a couple of fans, yet the mobo does nothing else, no lights or sounds. This unconventional PSU has two 12v quad pins and a linear 7pin connection (P2)  - if I could get a pinout of the linear connection I may be able to determine if the PSU is done or if the mobo needs a replacement. i wouldn't want to guess at this point and cost my friend unnecessarily. Thanks for your help, it's good to know dedicated volunteers are here

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.