Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello,

i was looking through this thread because I also would like to add a 3rd hard drive to my HP Envy 750 becuase c drive only came with 128GB.  I looked at my PC and i can see where i would add SATA power Y cable but...

Not sure where to add SATA data cable.  I can connect one end to 3rd hard drive but not sure where the other end would go on motherboard.  I only see 3 connections and they are all use. 

1- 1st hard drive

2 - 2nd hard drive

3- dvd drive

Can you assist with this, thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@delosrec,

Again re-read what I listed.

For the boot drive, get either Samsung EVO drive that I listed.

For a data drive, use the conventional WD 3.5" drive for storage.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Anyone have any feedback on this issue, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@delosrec,

First of all, it's very inappropriate to add your question/inquiry to another's commentary.  Adding it to a commentary that is monthes OLD is another faux-pas. So, I removed it to create a more benefical comment.

From your vague description of the model, (HP 750 series), it can be noted the Odense motherboard used in that series only has 3 SATA data headers, but you stated that you noticed only 3 headers.

As such, you can not add another SATA hard drive internally.  What I do suggest  is adding an external 2.5" hard drive with this enclosure. ( I use it with 500GB drive to clone my tower ).  It will support upto a 2TB 2.5" drive.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wb2001, thank you for the quick response.  I apologize for the lack of forum knowledge.  Can i do the following instead?

1- Copy D drive (1tb) hard drive to an external drive

2- copy C drive (128gb, that came with PC) to D drive

3- make D drive primarely boot

4- add new 1TB drive in c drive

5- copy D drive back to C drive

6- make it primarely boot

7- copy external drive back to D drive

In my mind, this theory might work but not sure everything that i would have to do in the cmos to make it happen.  At the end of the day i want to repalced original 128gb with a new 1tb to end with c drive = 1tb and d drive = 1tb.  Not sure why these PC's came in with 128gb c drive.

what do you think?

HP Recommended

@delosrec,

What is the exact model # of this unit ? Generically speaking, the HP 750-414 matches your listing of hardware.

Here is what I would suggest:

Figure out how many GB you really need on the C-drive. The D drive is for DATA.

1) Purchase either a 500GB or 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD. (Both 5 year warranty).

2) Unplug the 1TB hard drive. Connect the new Samsung EVO SSD.

3) Samsung offers their free Data Migration program to perform a clone of the old C drive (SSD). 

4) Swap the new Samsung EVO  into the C drive bay.   Store the old C drive.

TEST the system using the new Samsung EVO SSD.

5) You can now re-attach the D drive.

You are now hopefully done.  But if you want to replace that 1TB 3.5" hard drive, there are 2 choices.

1) WD 1 TB 3.5" drive (5yr warranty)

2) Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD listed above, but you need an adapter for 2.5 to 3.5 drive bay. Like the one that holds the present C drive.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

thank you very much Wb2001 for your suggestions.

So i had a TOSHIBA 1TB DT01ABA100V hard drive laying around from DVR camera that i replaced for a bigger drive.  I did exactly as you suggested.  Every seems to work except PC is extemely, extremly slow on just about anything I do...booting (very slow) windows explore (search files very slow), internet surfing, accesing other apps in PC...etc.

- Did i messed something up?

- Is there an additional setup to speed up disk access in CMOS?

- does the TOSHIBA hard drive just simply slow?

One thing about this PC prior to this is that it was very very fast doing everyting, specially booting up.  It is so slow that if you dont have anything else in your bags of tricks (LOL), i just might revert my process to original 128GB because is too slow.

Hopefully you make magic onces again!!!

thank you so much

HP Recommended

@delosrec

You tried to go "cheap" and now you learned a bitter lesson (I hope).

TheToshiba DT01ABA100V 1 Terabyte (1TB) is a SATA/300 3.0GB/s 5700RPM 32MB cache Hard Drive. Such a drive is more than twice as slow.

I thought you would use the suggested scenerio, step by step.  You took a short-cut price-wise, and spoiled a great suggestion.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Well I was trying to save of the cost of a new hard drive since I already had one but is not worth it.  Indeed it was a great suggestion, so which of the 2 hard drives you suggested would be faster?  At this point i dont want to sacrifice performance over dollar saved...

1) WD 1 TB 3.5" drive (5yr warranty)

2) Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD listed above, but you need an adapter for 2.5 to 3.5 drive bay. Like the one that holds the present C drive.

thank you 

HP Recommended

@delosrec,

Again re-read what I listed.

For the boot drive, get either Samsung EVO drive that I listed.

For a data drive, use the conventional WD 3.5" drive for storage.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Wb2001,

thank you for last weeks suggestions, everything is working and now i'm up and running with maximum speed and size.  This is what I did....

1) Purchase 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD. .

2) Unplug the 1TB hard drive. Connect the new Samsung EVO SSD.

3) Cloned the old C drive (SSD). 

4) Swap the new Samsung EVO  into the C drive bay with old adapter and tested.

5) Re-attached the D drive.

Once again thank you very much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.