Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Big Dave seems to be MIA after two years. No one else has any answers?

Cannoneer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@stevbullock

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

What is your question?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Where is your question ? I read all your posts/replies but none of them asking about SSD.

Note: @Big_Dave is still around and he is online right now I think.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@stevbullock

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers. This will allow others to review your issue, make suggestions and review your responses. This is usually the best way to get assistance.

What is your question?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

OK Big Dave, here is your chance to shine. I have a PNY CS1311 SSD 480 GB SATA drive to install in my HP Pavillion 8-1234 and PNY customer service has thrown up their hands in surrender as we cannot get it to work. I am not a techie and hope not to become one just to put an SSD in a 5 year old computer. I have read and read various opinions on how to go about it but none has been  successful. I believe I am lucky to get my computer operating again. My HP 8570 laptop was easy. This desktop seems impossible. I am 70 years old, retired 11 years and out of touch technically, though I did spend 12 years with CSC in senior management positions. Can you help? Especially as you are NOT MIA.

Cannoneer
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please describe what you have tried and what were the results.  We need some more details.

HP Recommended

Apparently we were doing things in tandem. The product number is H2L72AA#ABA. It's a slam bang computer with everything upgraded two or three times. AMD FX 9570 CPU @4.7 G, 24 GB RAM, AMD W5000 video processor and more. Including a very slow Seagate 1 TB HDD, original equipment. W10 Pro OS. Detailed guidance appreciated!

Thank you!

Cannoneer
HP Recommended

Will need to do that possibly Sunday. It's late and I need to be in Jacksonville, FL tomorrow at 10 am. Thank you very much!

Cannoneer
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you consider that the SSD may be DOA?

As a proof of concept I suggest you do the following:

1. Create an image of the existing hard drive to external media using a product such as Paragon, Macrum Reflect or Acronis. Each vendor has a free product to do this task. Be sure to create the bootable media for the imaging product.
  2. As a separate task, backup your data to external media.
  3. Create an USB flash drive containing W10. Your PC is digitally registered with MS so there will not be a license/cost issue.
  4. Unplug the HD and plug the SSD into the HD SATA port.
  5. Boot your PC up using the USB flash drive containing W10 and install W10.  Do not select the USB drive that indicates EFI or UEFI as it's not clear if the hardware in your PC will support UEFI mode.

If W10 boots up then you pretty much know that the SSD is good. At this point, I would suggest that you restore your data and reinstall any user add-on programs.

As an alternative option, you might want to try the image backup to the new SSD but there is no guarantee that the image is going to work hence my reason for installing a fresh copy of W10.  This step might save you some time and effort.  However, I do prefer the clean W10 installation process.

HP Recommended
I have tried both of you suggested methods with no luck. As the drive is under warranty I can replace it through PNY. I hope. Thanks for your guidance, I wasted hours on this.
Cannoneer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.