Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Elitedesk 800 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Elitedesk 800 with no processor.  The label on the box says it should be an i7 8700 65w.  Can I use either the i7-8700 Coffee Lake or the i9-9900 Coffee Lake?  Both fit the 1151 socket but is the chipset on the motherboard compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

I can only give you the information that is available online.

I have never in my 20 years of working with HP business desktop PC's, seen a model series that supports newer generation processors.  Older yes, newer no.

For example, the Elitedesk 800 G3 model series mainstream support is for the Intel 7th gen core processors, but it also will take select 6th gen core processors.

HP Elite 800 G3 Business Desktop Business PCs

Installing an i9 processor in your PC would be a huge gamble, with the odds stacked against you.

I just read all of the release notes for every BIOS update released thus far, and none add support for newer generation processors than those listed in the specs.

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Tower PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Elite 800 G4 quickspecs.

You can find the list of supported processors in this document.

HP Elite 800 G4 Business Desktop Business PCs

The i7-8700 95W processor is supported, but no 9th gen core processors are supported.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.  I have been looking at the TWR specs and it strikes me that the document (all 115 pages) was written before the i9s were available.  The i7 10700 and i7 9700 as well as the i9 series were all produced after the specs were written and all specify that they work with socket 1151 and the series 300 motherboard.   ALSO... the 8700K is the hottest processor specified in the charts for the 300 motherboard.

Is the problem the components on the Elite TWR motherboard or is it somewhere else?

I have also noticed that the newer processors are less expensive than the 8700K, which is still hovering around $370-$400.

George Hilliker

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

I can only give you the information that is available online.

I have never in my 20 years of working with HP business desktop PC's, seen a model series that supports newer generation processors.  Older yes, newer no.

For example, the Elitedesk 800 G3 model series mainstream support is for the Intel 7th gen core processors, but it also will take select 6th gen core processors.

HP Elite 800 G3 Business Desktop Business PCs

Installing an i9 processor in your PC would be a huge gamble, with the odds stacked against you.

I just read all of the release notes for every BIOS update released thus far, and none add support for newer generation processors than those listed in the specs.

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Tower PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Paul,

That certainly makes sense.  I guess I will have to bite the bullet and go with the 8700K.  OR MAYBE buy a newer ASUS motherboard and AMD Rizen processor. All I am looking for is an upgrade from an old Dell vostro 200 that I use to dual boot and test Ubuntu and Windows 10 as an early adopter.  I have a long history with both of them.

Many thanks for your comments. 

George 

HP Recommended

Anytime, George.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.