Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Pytor Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replace HHD to SSD drive

Compaq Presario Desktop S319UK
Microsoft Windows XP

My hard drive has failed. Can i replace it with a SSD drive then change O/S . The desktop in question is about 14 years old and as i am a silver surfer i would like to keep it runnig if possible .

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14059 1328 3149
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replace HHD to SSD drive

Pytor

Sorry, but in your case, the answer is most likely -- NO.

Why?

I'm guessing, due to the age of your PC, that the hard disk is one of the old legacy IDE form factor.

Take it out and look at it.  IF it has a double row of little pins on the back, it is IDE.

The newer drives, which are SATA form factor, have two plastic tabs with gold strips on them.

The SSD s are SATA, not IDE -- which means, they won't connect to the same cables that you're using for the hard drive.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Pytor Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replace HHD to SSD drive

Thanks to your swift reply. I will check the hard drive in question and decide what i shall do afterwards.Thank you once again for your help. Regards Pytor.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation