Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement Motherboard

Pavilion 21 TouchSmart All-in-
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We had a power outage.  Once power was restored, the computer would not power up.  I've followed many of the recommend steps to diagnose the problem.  The AC power supply is not outputting the 19.5V of DC power required so I've used another power supply thinking that was the problem.  However the second power supply keeps shorting out every time it is plugged into the comupter.  I know this, as the green light on the power converter turns off as soon as it is plugged in to the back of the computer.  When I unplug the power adapter from the wall and the computer and then plug it back into the wall the green light returns.  However, everytime it is plugged back into the computer the green light goes out again, thus discontinuing the power supply.

I've accessed the Motherboard and disconnected the various connections to determine if there was another component causing a short to the mother board, but I continue to get the same problem.  

I'm pretty confident the mother board has gone bad and have tried to purchase a preplacement through HP.  I've found the part on the HP Parts Store, but I received the following when I tried to complete the order:

• The following part(s) you entered were not found or not orderable:
    740248-501  (This part is not yet available for purchase.)

I've read that it is best to purchase the Motherboard from HP as there could be an issue with the operating system looking for a Tatoo within the Mother Board code and would create further probems after replacement.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to go about purchasing a replacement mother board.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
24,507 20,941 2,385 7,950
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement Motherboard

@Snookard, welcome to the forum.

Depending on the age of your computer HP may have a motherboard available.  You should try HP Partsurfer.  If not, you will have to try one of the online site, such as, ebay.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Highlighted
Intern Intern
Intern
28 27 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement Motherboard

Hi

Better option would be to connect with HP Contact Center or nearest HP service location and they can help getting the part procured on chargeable basis for stated HP system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation