Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Solved!

Replacing Current SSD Drive with attached Intel Optane With A Larger SSD Drive With Intel Optane

HP Recommended
Envy All-In-One 32-a1055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new computer with a SSD Hard Drive and Intel Optane Memory.

The SSD Drive is only 512 GB, which is far too small for my needs.

I want to replace it with a larger SDD Drive with attached Intel Optane Memory.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Level 15
Level 15
12,817 12,610 1,763 4,964
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@besharpone1 

Reading is your best friend:

https://www.howtogeek.com/317294/what-is-intel-optane-memory/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Can-I-use-Optane-memory-for-Win...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
47,869 42,116 4,629 12,308
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Crucial Memory has offerings for the M.2 and 2.5" notebook SSD. 

Since your AIO PC is code named Volfoni_20C1, the M.2 and notebook SSD offered at the Crucial Memory hyperlink below will work in your AIO desktop as it is also in the Volfoni_20C1 series. 

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | envy 32 series | HP ENVY 32-a1035 All-in-One | Crucial.com

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I am already aware of this webpage.

I read it before posting my question.

I am looking for information regarding installing a larger hard with the understanding that I also have the Intel Optane Memory attached to my current SSD Drive.

Also, I can figure out how to do the install of the SSD.

What I don't know is the difference in installation procedures knowing that I have the Optane Memory.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
6,526 6,510 615 1,451
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Using Intel Optane (a cache drive) is pointless when you can install the operating system on a fast NVME drive. You have a 512 GB Intel NVME SSD now. The operating system should be installed on this drive. No use for Optane.

Optane using 16 GB to 32 GB stick drives provides performance enhancements using the cache when paired with slower platter HDDs. You don't need this because you have a 512 GB NVME disk drive.

Buy a bigger SSD and move the operating system to the new drive sans Optane.

Regards

Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am confused. So, why did HP attach the Intel Optane to the system if the NVME disk drive is fast enough?

Is it only to make more money, since it was listed as an option when I purchased the computer?

Also, can you recommend which SSD disk drive I should purchase? I want to make sure that it doesn't present any match up problems with my HP computer.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
6,526 6,510 615 1,451
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't know why HP did this. Are you actually using Optane? Where is the operating system installed? Optane is only useful as a cache drive when the operating system installed on a slow platter HDD.

I suspect HP may be doing this to reduce Optane SSD components in inventory. No harm in this, you just want a bigger NVME SSD.

You can install any M.2 NVME SSD where the Optane component is installed; Samsung, Adata, Crucial, Team, or others.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 1
5 2 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would be grateful if you would reply to a noobie clarifying question. I have an HP Envy desktop running Windows 10 Home with a TB HDD and Intel Optane (I think 16 GB). The hard drive is divided into the main partition (C:) and a recovery partition (D:). If I understand you correctly, your advice is to install an SSD and place the Windows operating system there. However, I also understand that the Optane feature is on the HDD itself. Will the Optane feature just become inoperative once the Windows system is transitioned to the new SSD, or do I need to do anything to make sure the Optane feature does not conflict with or cause problems to the SSD? TIA

0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The operating system is currently installed on the 512GB SSD with Optane.

After reading more about the Optane system, it makes no sense to have it.

Other than the extra cost to the consumer!!

Yes, I need a bigger drive because the 512GB won't hold all the software programs I have and I don't want them running from the secondary SATA drive because it is too slow as compared to the SSD.

You have been very helpful.

I do have one more question for you, though.

I need to find a tutorial that shows how to remove the cover from my HP Envy 32-a1055 computer.

I called HP and they didn't offer much help with what SSD drive to install or how to get to it.

The only thing they offered is to install the apps on the secondary drive instead of installing a larger SSD drive.

Do you know where I can find the information I need to disassemble the back cover of my computer?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
6,526 6,510 615 1,451
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@besharpone1 ,

Check out the HP Service Teardown at this (Link).

Regards

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation