Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 260-A129
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. Attempting to replace an optical drive, which I never use, with an SSD Drive in my HP Slimline 260-A129. I read this post: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-add-a-ssd-to-slimline-26... but I have two questions, as I explain in this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kv2cNdvME9ohSfQE7

1) can you provide me with a link to the adapter I need or a new cable or splitter?

2) can I setup the SSD as the boot-up drive?

Many thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Assuming there is not an extra power connection on the power supply, that splitter will allow the use of the SSD, since the optical drive might have a different power connection.

If you wish to make the new SSD the boot drive, it might need to be connected to the HHD port instead of the optical SATA port.

Since the SSD is significantly smaller that the 1TB boot drive, do you plan on fresh install of Windows on the SSD or cloning the 1TB drive to the SSD?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

After further investigation, I see know that the SATA connector connects to the SSD. The issue now is simply the power connection. Is the following what I need?:  https://www.amazon.ca/Duttek-Power-Splitter-Cable-Drive/dp/B079DNGP8B/ref=sr_1_9?crid=98OQT3PHS4EI&d...

HP Recommended

Assuming there is not an extra power connection on the power supply, that splitter will allow the use of the SSD, since the optical drive might have a different power connection.

If you wish to make the new SSD the boot drive, it might need to be connected to the HHD port instead of the optical SATA port.

Since the SSD is significantly smaller that the 1TB boot drive, do you plan on fresh install of Windows on the SSD or cloning the 1TB drive to the SSD?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Great. Duly noted about connecting the SSD to the HHD port. Good point about cloning to a smaller drive. However, I have only 150 Gb of used space on the 1Tb so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

OK.  Some cloning software will allow that, so be sure to verify cloning to a smaller drive, before going too far.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Success with installation of the new SSD and cloning of the Windows files. (I found "Macrium Reflect " free software after some research - very easy to use). Disk Management now displays SSD as new drive, ready to use, with mirror of Windows Files. 

Running into an issue however with setting SSD as boot drive: I could be mistaken, but it appears that HP's custom BIOS on my desktop doesn't provide an option to change boot drive or boot order. After searching other articles in this community and other sources, I haven't found an answer. Finally stumbled on this YouTube video which may help solve the problem: Adding a SSD as Boot Drive on HP. Attempting this method and hoping it will provide a solution.

HP Recommended

Before you complete what that video shows, keep in mind that all the data on the existing hard drive was not saved.  When you cloned the hard drive to the SSD, all data was moved over. 

In the video, she shows how to make the SSD the boot drive.  Assuming the SSD is connected to the old HHD SATA port.  With the SSD connected to the HDD SATA port and the old drive disconnected for now, is the Set up Menu (F10) allowing the SSD to be the boot drive?

BTW: I have heard of other uses not getting the SSD to be the boot drive, but could not verify if they do what I am telling you to do now.  I do have some other tricks to try.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.