Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h9 1120a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My nVidia GTX 580 that came with this product (Pavilion HPE h9 1120a) has broken, and I'm looking to replace it. Problem is, if I do so, it won't boot because of secure boot detecting a different graphics card. I don't have an iGPU, and I can't enter the BIOS to turn it off as the graphics card is not working.

So now I can't replace the graphics card and therefore can't use this PC because of this secure boot feature (my BIOS was 8.21 Revision A). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's come to my attention my PC might have an iGPU which has been disabled this whole time. In that case - do I take off the plastic cover that says do not remove, then remove the graphics card, and then use my PC. Will this work? And yes, I have an i7 3770. 

This is the black plastic cover I'm talking about on the motherboard DVI ports - https://i.imgur.com/9RsnhwF.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

According to the spec page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-1100-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5154893/model...

That PC has integrated video as long as the CPU is not ending with a P in the cat #.  That page indicates the CPU is Intel Core i7 3770, so the way I read it, you can remove the  GTX 580 and the integrated graphics should take over and give you the BIOS page.

When you state " I don't have an iGPU" I assume you are speaking about the integrated graphics.  Is the CPU different than the one listed?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It's come to my attention my PC might have an iGPU which has been disabled this whole time. In that case - do I take off the plastic cover that says do not remove, then remove the graphics card, and then use my PC. Will this work? And yes, I have an i7 3770. 

This is the black plastic cover I'm talking about on the motherboard DVI ports - https://i.imgur.com/9RsnhwF.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for that, now I have video. I assumed there was no iGPU for this model because  ports were sealed off and said 'do not cover', so I assumed it was using a base motherboard that it shared with other models and this specific one didnt have integrated graphics, and so they might have sealed/covered the ports for it, turns out it's just disabled while a GPU is active. 

In order to install my new GPU, I have to turn secure boot off, right? Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.  I assume they cover those ports and are marked that way is because they will not work with a graphics card installed.

Now for the next question - "In order to install my new GPU, I have to turn secure boot off, right?"

It depends on the make and model of graphics card you choose. 

See here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/IPMMB-FM-Formosa-motherboard-GP...

OR

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/HP-ENVY-h8-1409-IPMMB-FM-Formosa-1050-Graph...

OR - it states in several threads the GTX 1050, or 1060 should work just fine in that PC and with the existing power supply, without changing the BIOS setting .

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Currently, my settings are Legacy support: enabled and Secure boot: disabled.

1. Is it advisable to disable legacy support or is that not necessary (or is it in fact a bad thing to do). 

2. With those settings, will my motherboard be compatible with an Asus Geforce GTX 1660 Super? (I should probably make a new thread to address that card's compatibility). 

HP Recommended

While I have not tried these Geforce GTX 1660 graphics cards, I would think they will work much like the Geforce GTX 1060  or 1050 cards which should not need the BIOS to be in Legacy mode.  I would place the BIOS back in the Secure boot mode and then insert the new card and reconnect the monitor to the new card.

I do not think any harm will come either in Legacy mode or Secure boot mode, but it might cause the card to not work properly if it requires one of the other.  I would think if the new card requires one mode or the other, it would mention that in the directions on "How to" install.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Update: The ASUS GTX 1660 Super worked without a hiccup, didn't need to change a thing it was just plug and play.

My settings were secure boot: off, legacy support: on, BIOS Version 8.21 (Revision A) on the IPMMB-FM (Formosa) if anyone else wants that information. 

HP Recommended

Glad to hear all is well.  Thanks for reporting back on a good outcome!!.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.