Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-h024 TouchSmart All-in-One

I have a HP Pavilion 23-h024 TouchSmart All-in-One. After setting boot order to allow CD-ROM to boot first I lost all USB ports. I can't even click escape to get into bios because the keyboard and mouse shut off a couple seconds after powering up. I can see pin headers on the mother board but can't find any info. I tried pulling the battery for a while and that did not work.

c04074461.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, boot on CD worked. The windows setup would start but then I had no way to continue because I had no keyboard or mouse... 

By chance I tried F10 instead of ESC key as they show in their documentation and I was able to get back into the BIOS and enable all the USB ports again. Everything worked and the upgrade is now complete.

I did find other posts of people describing the same issue after setting boot from CD but of course nobody posted a clue how to get back in the BIOS because they kept saying that ESC no longer worked and in fact it did not. Either way F10 works fine to get back in. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

hi

you only did that, I don't see the link between disabling usb, and changing boot ..
unfortunately no indication from hp for the reset

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04017684
You must have both 3.0 and 2.0 ports, none work?
and finally the boot on cd worked?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, boot on CD worked. The windows setup would start but then I had no way to continue because I had no keyboard or mouse... 

By chance I tried F10 instead of ESC key as they show in their documentation and I was able to get back into the BIOS and enable all the USB ports again. Everything worked and the upgrade is now complete.

I did find other posts of people describing the same issue after setting boot from CD but of course nobody posted a clue how to get back in the BIOS because they kept saying that ESC no longer worked and in fact it did not. Either way F10 works fine to get back in. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.