Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-327c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System fails to access SDHC card both in  built-in multimedia card reader and in USB card reader plugged into USB port. 

- When new, unused Sandisk SDHC 32GB is inserted into built-in multimedia card reader,Windows says "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it."  Clicked "Format disk" button. 

- New window to "Format USB Drive (G:)" is presented with Quick Format checked.  Clicked "Start" button.  

- Warning window presented "...Formatting will erase ALL data..."  Clicked "OK" button.   

- Information window appears saying "Windows was unable to complete the format."  Only option:  Clicked "OK" button.  

- New window presented saying: 

"Windows can't format G

Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only and then try again. 

For more information, search help for read-only files and how to change them.   Only option: Clicked "Close" button. 

I tried SD cards with data with similar results, but didn't want to expose data to loss by debug efforts....

--------

Using a USB reader plugged into a USB port,  Windows says

"Insert disk

Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)" .

And the only option is the "Cancel" button. 

----------

USB Flash drives work, but seem to take a long time to eject.

------

I've tried updating drivers, though not at all sure I've even found any or all of the appropriate drivers.  (On-line information says Win 10 will look for drivers on the internet, but the message provided by the driver update process says it will look only on the system.) 

-----

Assuming the multimedia card reader is compatible with Win 10, since that was an option at time of sale.  (I upgraded later, when Win 7 pro reached end-of-support.)  Not sure if that's when the problem arose, since I don't use SDHC cards frequently.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BruceMcF 

I have found this to work in all situations"

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=pd_cp_147_3?ie=U...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@BruceMcF 

I have found this to work in all situations"

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=pd_cp_147_3?ie=U...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.