Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 590 p-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade to a M.2 SSD. Documentation is not clear. Can I use a M.2 2280 NVME ? Excuse the newbie question but does the 2280 fit in the available slot? Also, is it best to clone the hard drive or do a clean windows install ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the size is 2280.

I always clean install Windows on new drives.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your PC indicate that it has a Sunflower motherboard.

HP Pavilion 590-p0024 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

This discussion indicates the M.2 slot your PC has supports both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSD's.

Sunflower motherboard m.2 ssd upgrade - HP Support Community - 6731142

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm still interested to know if the correct SSD size is the 2280. Also, is a clean re-install of windows preferable to cloning the drive.

Thanks,

Eliot

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the size is 2280.

I always clean install Windows on new drives.

HP Recommended

Thanks, some people have written that the new drive is not always recognized. Any tips to make sure it's recognized? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've only installed 1 NVME drive in a Dell desktop PC, and didn't encounter any problems with the PC or Windows seeing the drive, so unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations to make sure that the drive shows up in the BIOS or Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.