Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been trying to research the best SSD drive to use as a boot drive for my new HP desktop and I've seen many different discussions about not being able to boot from the M.2, etc. I have the Pavilion 570 P094 (AMD A12, Willow motherboard).

The specs show it has two M.2 expansion slots, one key A and one key M.

Can someone recommend a specific SDD drive that I can use as a boot drive for this system? I'm a little new to all of this since I've been out of the tech field since the early 2000s. All the choices and new terminology is a bit overwhelming: PCIe, M.2, NVMe, etc.

I do understand the process of cloning the drive, etc. so don't get me wrong, I feel capable of doing this but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has researched and knows the best solution for what I'm trying to accomplish with my particular system.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It isn't SATA. 

It is PCI Express (PCIe) using NVMe.

At the current date, NVMe is the fastest SSD type interface on the planet.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes. The research has already been done. HP Expert Big_Dave provided the expertise.

In the following thread link the member has a Pavilion 570 series PC that is the same codename as yours (SHAVE3).  That means that his results apply to yours.  You need an NVMe M.2 SSD. My own preference is Samsung.

The thread is at the link below. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Boot-from-M-2-SSD/td-p/6283247 ...

At Newegg.com in the search I did, there are some incredibly fast Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD units. See the following link.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100011693%20600488413%206004...

The document at the link below for the motherboard shows where all of the components are. The SSD socket is an M key.

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c05408562

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The first link you provided to where this issue was discussed in the past does not work.

Also the second link seems to have results that show more than one key type, but you noted it was an "M" key, maybe this is discussed in the first link.

Last, I know there are often dimension restrictions on the SSD units (what will fit on the board), but again maybe this is discussed in the first link.

Thank you again for your expertise,

-david

HP Recommended

You're welcome. 🙂

II have no idea as to why the other link failed. Try the one below.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Boot-from-M-2-SSD/m-p/6283247#M...

M.2 2280 will fit.

That is 22 mm width and 80mm length.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help. I've been continuing to educate myself on all of this over the past two days. The last question I have is what type of logical interface this motherboard is using (SATA or PCI-e) as this will impact which drive I choose. I looked on the spec sheet for the willow2 motherboard and I cannot find an answer to this question.

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

It isn't SATA. 

It is PCI Express (PCIe) using NVMe.

At the current date, NVMe is the fastest SSD type interface on the planet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.