Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to get an SSD for my ProDesk 400 G4 Microtower.

Are the models that connect directly to the motherboard (mSATA, m2) compatible with this PC or SATA cable is the only way to get an SSD work in a G4?

If the latter, which models are recommended?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi There

Looking at your spec your Expansion options

M.2 slot is only for a Wireless card and too small size 2230 

The PCI-E Turbo cards are very expensive 

My recomendation to you is to install a 2.5 Sata SSD i.e Samsung EVO 860 http://amzn.eu/5JzJU3J  depending on size needed and budget

very easy to install and no drivers needed

I have installed around 10 of these in to various HP Desktops and laptops and in later 6th and 7th gen Intel machines 

Look in to cloning your drive if you want to keep the data but a fresh install with a Windows 10 ESD USB3 stick from windows media creation tool is always the best option for me plus your PC should activate windows with a Digital Licence 

Hope this helps

Regards Phil 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi There

Looking at your spec your Expansion options

M.2 slot is only for a Wireless card and too small size 2230 

The PCI-E Turbo cards are very expensive 

My recomendation to you is to install a 2.5 Sata SSD i.e Samsung EVO 860 http://amzn.eu/5JzJU3J  depending on size needed and budget

very easy to install and no drivers needed

I have installed around 10 of these in to various HP Desktops and laptops and in later 6th and 7th gen Intel machines 

Look in to cloning your drive if you want to keep the data but a fresh install with a Windows 10 ESD USB3 stick from windows media creation tool is always the best option for me plus your PC should activate windows with a Digital Licence 

Hope this helps

Regards Phil 

HP Recommended

Hi Phil!

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer. Just out of curiousity, does it make sense getting an m.2 SATA to PCIe adapter and an m.2 SATA SSD (i.e.: Samsung EVO 950 Pro)?

I guess it would boots speed significantly and an adapter would cost me approx. $35.

HP Recommended

Hello Herrobst.

What did you end  doing? I am thinking to upgrade to a Samsung 970  PRO using an adapter.

HP Recommended

I too am a little confused by this.

While it is true that the M.2 slot (J38) is for a WLAN card only, the PCIe expansion slots are available for an SSD. PCIe/NVMe is 4 times faster than SATA, so that may be of interest to some.

Here's the thing. The PCIe drives for this model in the Quickspec are the HP Turbo Drive G2 PCIe TLC SSD Drives. These are normal PCIe expansion cards that appear to fit into the X4 slot (maybe X1?). However, the Maintenance and service guide specifies "2280 M.2, NVMe solid-state drive".  I'm not sure if:

a) the maintenance and service guide is wrong, or

b) it is, in fact, possible to plug a normal M.2 2280 card rather than a full-blown expansion card into the X1 PCIe slot.

I would guess a).

Anyone know? It's the difference between a $90 Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2280 and a $222 HP M1F73AT expansion card.

HP Recommended

Hey Jeff!

Sorry for the - very - late reply. I chose the easy way, bought a 2.5" SSD.

HP Recommended

I eventually answered my own question.

You can plug an M.2 2280 card into an adapter that in turn plugs into the PCIe x4 slot. That is effectively what the HP Turbo Drive G2 is.

This gives you the full PCIe/NVME speed of 3,500/3,300 MB/sec R/W compared to 560/530 MB/sec with a SATA drive. You can get adapters that accomodate one or two M.2 cards.

For example:

Samsung 970 EVO Plus - $90

QNINE Dual M.2 PCIe Adapter - $20 (Amazon)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.