Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 ultra-slim pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

the manual indicates that only a SATA HDD can be taken by my pc however the manual discription shows there is a SSD (mini) connector on the motherboard and effectively this connector is available. 

I want to add an extra drive SSD besides my normal 2.5" drive.

So not clear if it is now possible or not and supporting drivers exist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@1ben2,

The manual on pg 62 only makes reference to a 24GB mSATA device.   It has been proven not to work as a boot device, as shown here.  The unit ic circa late 2012.  Do what you want, but do not expect performance.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@1ben2 , welcome to the forum.

@1ben2 wrote:

the manual indicates that only a SATA HDD can be taken by my pc however the manual discription shows there is a SSD (mini) connector on the motherboard and effectively this connector is available. 

I want to add an extra drive SSD besides my normal 2.5" drive.

So not clear if it is now possible or not and supporting drivers exist.

Yes, it appears that you should be able to add a SSD to your computer.  Here are the specifications for one in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=680020-001

Here is the SSD that is in HP PartSurfer: https://harddiskdirect.com/680020-001-hp-256gb-sata-6gb-s-2-5-inch-sff-solid-state-drive.html?campai...

The SSD will come with any software that you need to complete the install.  This is simply an example of what you need.

The specifications don't mention any M.2 socket on the motherboard.  You will have to use one of the free drive bays to add it.  Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-elite-8300-ultra-slim-pc/5232866/document/c03345460

The specifications show that there are 3 - 3.5" internal drive bays.  You will have to use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter to install the SSD.  If you want to use the SSD as the boot drive, follow the instruction in this HP Knowledge Base article: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Upgrading-Desktop-or-Laptop-to-a-SSD/ta-p/73048...

You will most likely need to buy a SATA data cable.  I suggest choosing a SSD manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for further help.  Check to assure there is a spare SATA power connector available.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@1ben2 

It also has an mSata socket, as described here.    The physical socket is shown here, on page 210.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Dear Old Geekster, WB2001,

Thanks for the reactions.

i have now a sata HDD and i'm sure I can replace it by a sata SSD version.  What I'm after is to add a Mini SSD which plugs in directly on a connector which is mounted on the motherboard itself and to be able to put my Windows 10 on it.

Could I use any "standard" mini SSD?

HP Recommended

@1ben2,

The manual on pg 62 only makes reference to a 24GB mSATA device.   It has been proven not to work as a boot device, as shown here.  The unit ic circa late 2012.  Do what you want, but do not expect performance.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.