Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One - 20-c411a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

Just trying to upgrade my HP All-in-One - 20-c411a but it won't boot with the new Samsung Evo 870 SSD. Boots fine when I put bad the original HDD.

HDD has been cloned to the SSD with Macrium Reflect 7. Can't choose a boot device either to try and install Windows from USB so I assume that it's the BIOS not liking the SSD.

Any suggestions? have read about downgrading the bios but no clear information on that either. Hoping an HP tech can help me out.

BIOS 8381 vF.66 05/25/2020 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP techs don't use this forum to assist customers.

I also use Macrium Reflect free edition with no problems when imaging or cloning. 

Did you check the BIOS to see if the SSD is detected? No detection means you have a hardware problem if all connections to the device are correct. Some HP PCs have problems with specific retail drives. HP may be modifying the BIOS to create this problem.

Downgrading the BIOS on most HP consumer PCs is usually not possible and this action may not solve the problem. You would have to try it. 

I can't tell you why this is happening but I have been seeing this issue in the forum on certain HP PCs. 

One suggestion is to try different SATA SSDs to find one that works, maybe a HP SATA SSD? This is expensive to do and may not be cost effective.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the reply, 

how do you get in contact with support. just bots and forum links, they do their best to hide don't they.

i can't get into bios with the ssd it just crashes at the press ESC screen when I try. It enters bios if the hdd is in. the ssd boots on my test rig so I assume it's their bios. 

it's probably not worth the time at this stage

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

This site (Link) is a contact point. Don't know how it will go. HP will probably want a fee if you are out of warranty.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.