Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One - 24-e040nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I've bought an all-in-one. Wotks great, but the HDD is a bit loud and slow. I want it replaced by a (Samsung 860EVO) SSD. I cloned the HDD content to a new Samsung SSD (using their migration software). After succesful cloning, I changed the drives. Unfortunately, the All-in-one doesn't start up on the SSD. It shows the HP logo, but that's it. So... I replaced it back again with the original HDD and, as before, that works great.

In order to check if the SSD is broken, I installed it in my VAIO laptop. Funny enough, that runs (the content of the HP All-in-one) perfectly.

What am I doing wrong here? No hardware problem in the All-in-one, nor in the SSD is my opinion.

Hope anyone can help me. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Richard626, welcome to the forum.

This is the first time that I have seen any information that shows HP computers having a problem with Samsung SSD's.  Does the SSD show in the Device Manager when it is installed: Device Manager/Disk drives?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Hello,

Sorry but I couldn't tell you. It doesn't start. I never get past the startup screen with the HP logo.

(When installed in my VAIO, the SSD is recognised of course).
HP Recommended

@Richard626

I wish that I could help you further, but am not certain what could be causing the problem.  I suggest contacting Samsung's Tech Support for help.  It is their business to assure their products work in other manufacturer's products.  I would appreciate hearing what they have say.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Well, thanks for trying to help. Am afraid Samsung can't help me because it runs fine in my VAIO -laptop.

My first thoughts were there is a lock of some sort, built in the HP that prevents other drives to be installed. Or that an SSD uses more (peak?) power then an HDD, and the motherboard doesn't deliver enough to perform a boot. But maybe I am way off here. I really don't know.

Regards,
Richard
HP Recommended

Hi,

Must we ask what form factor device is your Samsung 860 EVO?  There are two different form factors for the Samsung 860 EVO.  I suspect the 2.5" form factor but it's nice to know that ahead of time before suggestions are made.

Update the diagnostics on your PC.  Now boot into the Diagnostics (F2) after power on and look for the new SSD under Hard Drive information. Is the new SSD recognized? If yes, then run a set of HD diagnostics.  You might as well run a full set of diagnostics to make sure that your PC is stable.

Another thing to try is to update the BIOS. Use the BIOS SSID 8381 update.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Yes BigDave, you are correct. It is the Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2,5 inch.

I'll try your update-suggestions when I get home.

Thanks. Keep you posted!
HP Recommended
No luck Big_Dave..

First, I updated the BIOS. Then I updated diagnostics. Then cloned the HDD again and replaced it with the SSD.

With the wireless (HP) keyboard, F2 did not open diagnostics. A wired keyboard, however, did. Where I used to just see the HP logo, now the following text appeared:

Type processor: AMD A9-9400 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G
Snelheid processor: 2400MHz
L1/L2 Grootte cache: 128KBx2 / 1024KBx2
Omvan geheugen: 8192 MB DDR4 / 1866 MHz / Single Channel
Kanaal A: XMM1 8192 MB
BIOS Revisie/Datum: 8381 vF.24 03/27/2018

(It's the Dutch version..)

It then should respond to ESC (for the startup menu) but it doesn't. The only button it answers to, is the power-off.

It doesn't seem to recognize the SSD. The SSD works fine in my laptop though..

Suggestions anyone?
HP Recommended

@Richard626

We need the Dutch expert to help out.  @erico

The fact that you can't get into Diagnostics (f2) after power on is troubling. It might be that your PC is not supplying the correct voltages to the internal SATA slot where you are installing the SSD or the SSD is just not compatible with your PC.

If you remove the new SSD does F2 work after powering on the PC? (hint-- install the HP diagnostics to a flash drive. That way you'll have access to the latest diagnostics since the HD is removed).

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thanks for thinking with me, Big_Dave, appreciated

Will try to install Diagnostics to a USB drive tomorrow and give it a go. Again, will keep you posted.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.