Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HPE-570t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to add sata 3 ports via an add on card to my computer. I also want to buy an SSD. The end result would be that I could plug the ssd into the port on the add on card and get true ssd speeds.

What I want to know is, if I went that route, would that happen?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02668523 the link  to my mother board

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-PCI-Express-SY-PEX40039/dp/B005B0A6ZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

The link to a card I would consider to add. (not that I would know the difference between them.)

Thanks in advance,

Chef_D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Chef_D

What SHOULD happen, if you do that, is that you would then be able to boot Win7 from the SSD in very short time and have a faster running PC.

There are two issues, however:

1) Booting from the card -- I have found, sadly, that the ONLY reliable way to know if your PC will boot from a particular card is to try it out.  In older PCs that did not have SATA booting, I had tried various cards and only SOME of them booted.

2) SSD speeds -- also, sadly, although there are RATED SSD speeds (i,e, SATA 1, 2, and 3), not all SSDs have the same performance results.  This can often be evident in prices of new SSDs, as they tend to clump into price ranges, depending on their real-time performance.

A good site to check to see performance tests of SSDs is this one:  http://www.hardocp.com/

You should browse their site and look for performance tests they have run on SSDs.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Chef_D

What SHOULD happen, if you do that, is that you would then be able to boot Win7 from the SSD in very short time and have a faster running PC.

There are two issues, however:

1) Booting from the card -- I have found, sadly, that the ONLY reliable way to know if your PC will boot from a particular card is to try it out.  In older PCs that did not have SATA booting, I had tried various cards and only SOME of them booted.

2) SSD speeds -- also, sadly, although there are RATED SSD speeds (i,e, SATA 1, 2, and 3), not all SSDs have the same performance results.  This can often be evident in prices of new SSDs, as they tend to clump into price ranges, depending on their real-time performance.

A good site to check to see performance tests of SSDs is this one:  http://www.hardocp.com/

You should browse their site and look for performance tests they have run on SSDs.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I'm going to buy a card and SSD and see how my system likes it, (or not).

Thnx for your help.

Chef_D

HP Recommended

What about if I bought a PCIe SSD or an SSD mounted on an PCIe card. Given my mobo - see first post - what type of speeds could I see?

Thanks in advance,

Chef_D

HP Recommended

Given the same SSD chips, there is no difference in performance between these two:

1) SSD PCi-e card mounted in a slot on the motherboard

2) PCi-e SATA 3 card connected to an SSD

The difference in performance is based on the chips used in the SSD.

HP Recommended

@Chef_D

I did some benchmarking using SSDs via SATA and PCIe SSDs.  Using the same SSD, performance was slightly better via PCIe.  The difference can be related to SATA protocol overhead is higher verses PCIe lane overhead.  This is a big reason why SSDs are headed to PCIe connections either by m.2 connections or the by typical PCIe slot. When PCIe SSDs are running NVMe then the difference is even more noticeable.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for doing the benchmarks.

What type of SATA ports were they (2 or 3)?

Chef_D

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.