1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen goes Black, Computer still Running

Pavilion p6774y Magnesium Gray Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

I have been having an ongoing issue with my computer, an HP Pavilion p6774y, for a long time now that I cannot seem to figure out. It has been in and out of the local repair store 4 times now, and I have dumped about $200 into it with no resolution. I'm about ready to pull my hair out. 

When I am using it normally, I will suddenly lose video output to my screen. The screen goes black, and my number lock light goes off on the keyboard. The light on the mouse stays on. The computer continues to run, but is completely unresponsive, and the only way to get it to come back on is to hold the power button and restart it that way. 

It started doing something similar about a year after I had purchased it (freezing up and weird artifacts on the screen), and I thought it was a failure of the on-board graphics unit, so I bought a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics card and installed it. Seemed to fix the issue. Worked fine for a few weeks, and then I started getting the issue I described above. 

That's when I took it to my local computer repair guy. He started by removing and re-seating the memory. Brought it home. Worked fine for a while again, and then started doing the same thing. I must have held the power button to shut it down too many times, because my startup files got corrupted, so I had to take it back so he could backup my hard drive, wipe it, and reinstall Windows. Got it back home, worked for a while, and started doing the same thing again. Took it back, worked fine for him, took it back home. Started doing it again, so I brought it back. This time he noticed it wouldn't shut down at all. He replaced the power supply with one from a very similar parts computer he had. That fixed the issue of it not shutting down. Got it home, and it worked for a couple weeks, and now it's doing the exact same thing. 

I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,405 15,992 906 1,020
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen goes Black, Computer still Running

@ryank98

Welcome to HP support community.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation